Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buried Bo-mar's and Fiber optic front sight

Matt Cheely

I'm looking to get a adjustable Bo-mar sight buried in my glock 34 slide. And of course, pairing it with a dawson fiberoptic front sight. At the same time I might as well get the slide hardchromed. Who does nice work for a good price?

And if you have any other opinions on what other rear sight setup to get, please let me know what works well. Thanks! :)

CGR has done the buried Bomar’s on one of my G34's and a G35 the job that they did was second to none. Having said that today I would recommend the Dawson Precision front and back sights for Glock since they are drop in and they even provide the tools so you can install them yourself.

BTW, Novaks Handgunner Outlet also does buried Bomar's.

http://www.handgunneroutlet.net/whatsnew/LowBomar.htm

The Dawson rear is ok with two small issues. The sight is definintely not "buried"; I can see light under the rear of mine. Secondly, I found the rear notch to be very shallow. I had the depth of the rear notch cut down to the top of the elevation screw head and had a much better sight picture.

On the up side, the installation is very simple and the sights seem to hold up to some decent abuse.

You know it’s rather interesting I just measured my CGR Buried Bomar’s and my Dawson sights for Glock and the rear notch is actually .002 larger on the Dawson sight. Also I keep looking at rear sight and the only light is see is through the notch from underneath nothing.

BTW, I and others have been using the Dawson sights and Bomar’s in USPSA and Steel matches and the Dawson’s have taken the same level of abuse that my Bomar’s have. On a side note the only reason I have buried Bomar’s on my Glock’s is because at the time that was the only option available if you wanted an adjustable rear sight that didn’t stick out from the slide.

I'd skip the extra cost of the gunsmithing to bury the sight, but I don't really like the looks of it hanging off the back. Seems like it would get caught on stuff and could get broken off easier. With the cost, now I'm thinking about just switching gears and building my Glock 34 as an open 9mm major. It's only $100 more for a mount and C-more. And then the barrel & comp.... it could be fun. :wacko:

Seems like it's the only way to really be competitive with a 9mm. If I had been thinking better, would have bought a 35 for limited. But I did find the 34 for a good price.

I'm shooting Dawson adjustables and am very pleased with them. I do see that at Nationals last year (USPSA) and probably for many years Bomars are the number one sight used for iron sights. You won't go wrong with them by any means. The other nice sight to consider is the Heinie product; when you visit Custom Glock Racing you will see these as well.

HK, you will see that the real question isn't whether you should have bought the 34 or the 35, but rather which one comes first. You should have both! I did it a little different in that I bought two 34s. One for me and one for my wife. I'll own a 35 soon enough, but right now I am learning how to shoot this plastic gun and having a blast. You will too. Forget all of the add ons - get yourself a decent trigger (which you can do by yourself), sights and more in $$$ in ammo than the cost of the gun and begin the journey. Enjoy.

I've got a nifty trigger job thanks to some members posts, and have been shooting a lot, let me say that again, a lot of ammo. ;) I used to shoot maybe 5000 rounds a year. Now, its up to 2000 a month! :o And it's the winter, my hands get cold and I don't like to shoot as much indoors.

A few weeks ago I put a fiber optic front sight on my Pin gun and the difference was more than notable. The adjustable meprolight night sights that came on the gun are better than the factory, but I just can't find that front sight fast enough.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Dawson sights as well. I just prefer a deeper rear notch. I don't have any Bowmars to compare to.

In terms of the light at the rear, I ment under the back where they hang over, not under the notch.

I not sure the cost of burying sights is worth it either. All things considered, if adjustable sights is a must, I would still go with the Dawson, and deepen the rear notch.

For fixed sights, I really like the Heine sights, with the front thinned to a hair over .100 or until you can start to see the sides of the screw hole.

Well...as long as we are kicking things around...

I see NO NEED for adjustable sights on the Glock...not for the games we play with them.

I concur with that statement even though I have more Bo-Mars on guns than other sights. I'm sure that if mine are ever blessed by Erik, I'll replace them all with Heinies.......

So Flex and Nik, if I am reading the both of you correctly, you drift the rear for windage and buy different front post heigths until you get the elevation correct (or just buy one tall one and a file)?

You guys also believe that different loads, i.e. 115 Gr. match loads, vs 124 +P defensive loads or even 147s there isn't enough difference to make a change in your sights over the ranges that we fire the weapon?

Just want to make sure that I understand you point of view. I also take it that you believe that adjustables aren't as good mechanically as fixed sights - less to go wrong?

I don't want to put too many words in your mouths, but please expand your comments as to the whys of the comments. Thanks guys.

When I've put Heinie or Novak rear sights in...all I have done is centered them up...they proved to be right on.

The only filing I have ever done on a front sight is to thin it...not adjust it for elevation.

You just shoot...then collect the Alphas. :)

Funny that you say that Flex. I don't admit this often, but when I bought and installed my Dawson adjustables, I just centered the rear the best that I could and shot it. I have never turned the screws on my adjustables. I thought that I was just damn lucky.

So Flex and Nik, if I am reading the both of you correctly, you drift the rear for windage and buy different front post heigths until you get the elevation correct (or just buy one tall one and a file)?

No. You install and leave alone. Assuming buying the right height front sight and acceptable installation, they shouldn't require moving. My Heinie Streight Eights on my IDPA/Limited gun have never been moved since installation. I can shoot 115 or 147s at an IDPA/USPSA/Steel match and get acceptable accuracy ---- and I'm pretty sure I'm not giving up on Bianchi yet either. Bianchi would change in another year or three of matches though......

You guys also believe that different loads, i.e. 115 Gr. match loads, vs 124 +P defensive loads or even 147s there isn't enough difference to make a change in your sights over the ranges that we fire the weapon?

Bingo. For IDPA/USPSA/Steel, the gun ought to hit pretty much where you line the sights up. I'm pretty sure, that even at the fifty yard line on standards, I can gain more improvement through refining my technique, than I can by shooting the gun with Bo-Mars.

Just want to make sure that I understand you point of view.  I also take it that you believe that adjustables aren't as good mechanically as fixed sights - less to go wrong?

Theoretically that's true --- fewer moving parts and all that. In reality, I've never had a sight problem with either the Bo-Mars or Heinies or Wilsons or Novaks or stock Glock or Colt or S&W sights, other than some of them presenting less than an ideal sight picture.

Bottom line though: What we know to be true doesn't really help you. You need to do your own testing to determine what can help you see better and faster.........

There is no magic bullet --- or in this case no perfect sight. There are some less than ideal ones --- Glock stock sights come to mind --- but I bet there are competent shooters out there, happily using those plastic nubs to get their hits.......