Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Love it when the new AR upper works...

Wakal

Built myself a new AR15 upper with some leftover bits and Shot Show scrounge (begging?) results. DPMS high-rail flattop upper, Oly "Ultramatch" barrel (cut back to 18" and down to .750" under the handguard), the new six (!) side DMPS free-float ubertactical geek-o-licious handguard, Yankee Hill two-piece compact gas block, and of course an F2 comp.

Slapped a IOR 1.1-4 illuminated super-busy ninja-death scope on top with some leftover Warne quick-detach rings (for that "too cool to need a screwdriver (although the operator would like one ;) )" look), and a OKO 4moa dot as far forward on the 2 o'clock rail as it would go.

Finished it Thursday, sighted the scope at 200 yards and the dot at 100 yards Saturday, and managed to sneak out to my friend's 900 yard range today.

Spent two hours running back and forth from the bench to the 100/200/300/400/500/600 yard targets, figuring what stadia to hold at what distances. After the boring part, the fun started.

Spotting your own hits on 12" plates out to 400 yards, one after another? No problem :wub:

Spotting your own hits on 18" by 24" plates out to 900 yards? No problem :wub::wub:

Personally, I'm amazed...even off a bench...that I can hit a 18" by 24" target at 900 yards consistantly with one of my uppers and cheap American Eagle 55 grain ball.

And...I love having three or four rounds in the air at the same time, then hearing that pause between the last shot and the first round in the "train" impacting the steel :ph34r:

Alex

That is too cool! I am excited just reading about it. It always amazes me how you can just assemble parts and get such an incredibly accurate rifle. I built mine a year ago, and have been extremely pleased in every situation at the performance.

Oddly enough, 900 yards was number "9" with a 200 yard zero using that IOR scope. The shorter distances didn't have anything corresponding to the stadia numbers (one to one) like that...just sort of worked out funny on that distance.

I have the CQB (sigh) pattern on this scope. Took a bit of getting used to, and I'm still not certain that I like the little dot or the big "Homer took a bite of the" Doughnut around it, but the clarity edge-to-edge is amazing for the price. I had my old Open upper (with a Leupold Varix-III 1.5-5) and my M4 (with a Trijicon 01NSN 4-power ACOG) on the bench at the same time, and the IOR was noticably sharper and brighter than the Leupold...and a little better than the Trijicon. A lot bigger and heavier than the wee ACOG, though ;)

Today was a perfect day...no wind, 70 degrees, no clouds...no mirage, no dirt devils, no three-different-wind-drifts-to-the-500-yard-target (like normal). Very strange, but most entertaining.

This American Eagle stuff groups around 1.5" at 200 for me when I'm paying attention. Not fantastic, but perfectly servicable for 3-Gun stuff. Not good enough for 'sniper' or "bullseye" use, of course...but I don't play those games anymore.

Alex

AE223 55gr comes in to varieties lately ... the original is Federal brass with the FC stamp and .223 on the case head with some 55gr bullet that is different from the M193 projectile (thicker jacket for one thing). Lately some lots are in Lake City 5.56 brass (LC head stamp with NATO cross) using the same bullet they use for M193. I don't know which would be more accurate, but I'll bet they are different in most guns.

In either case, whacking a plate at 900 yards is very impressive! Heck, the idea of shooting at 900 yards has me salivating. I have no idea if I could hit anything, but I sure would like to try.

Wakal,

thanks for the report on how you used the Stadia lines on the CQB reticle. The reticle was designed to truly be a multi purpose device: CQB to long distance option if the horseshoe and stadia lines are used correctly.

We have sold several 100 of that particular model and if most people can only complain about how "ugly" it is, it must be working well.

Valdada scope

The IOR 1.1-4 CQB works great, and since I don't look svelte I don't really expect my gear to, either ;)

The optical clarity (edge to edge, and at distance) on the IOR scopes has to be seen to be believed. I was going to swap my trusty Leupold 1.5-5 Varix-III for the illuminated Mk4 version...until I messed with the IOR at the SHOT show. The only thing better in that type of scope was the Nightforce, in my opinion, and the IOR is a bit easier on the old wallet...and the Nightforce's recticle wasn't as "cool" (even with the Homer-et doughnut). The IOR has an amazingly wide field of vision, as well :)

I just checked the link you posted; yep, that is the scope. And...your price is great! While I hate giving away trade secrets <_< , Cactus Tactical's list price is under dealer cost. Buy one, you will like it!

Alex

Not a problem; just letting folks know what a great deal buying from you actually is! :)

And for the folks who have been asking what the drop was at the various distance, here are the particulars. This was off the bench on a calm 70 degree day, American Eagle 55 grain .223, with a Olympic Ultramatch barrel that had been thinned to .750 under the handguard and cut to 18" with a 11-degree crown. F2 comp, of course ;) DPMS High-Rise upper, IOR 1.1-4 CQB reticule scope with QD Warne rings, and a DPMS free-float handguard.

200 yards: zero

300 yards: 6" low

400 yards: 19" low (using line 1): 4" low

500 yards: 34" low (using line 2.5): on

600 yards: 90" low (using line 4): 4" high

700 yards: (using line 6): on

800 yards: (using line 7.5): on

900 yards: (using line 9): on

I quit shooting at paper past 600 yards, and switched to ringing 24" tall by 18" wide steel instead. Actual mileage may vary. Not for the other use. Keep out of children.

Hitting it consistently - THAT is impressive! Good work on that upper Alex.

Agree there is something special about shooting at distance; living inside the DC beltway it is difficult to find a place to let the AR stretch its long legs but Sunday, I was able to shoot it out to 800 yards in (of all places) Maryland.

Using a CMP/DCM National Match service rifle upper from White Oak precision & a lower I built, we lit up a round steel target about the size of a manhole cover starting at 400 yards. Spotting from 400 was not too bad. Ammo was Black Hills 75 grn JHP; off the seat of a 4-wheeler it was too easy to ring it every time so we switched to off hand (and managed a couple hits that way too).

Then we moved back to 800 & though far mor difficult (using a large rock as a "bench") we managed a couple hits on that same steel. Spotting was very tricky at that range. We had to wind the 1/4 min N/M rear sight almost the whole way up but elevation was on. I could not believe it. Makes me want to take up service rifle. It also renews my faith in the accuracy of the AR. C.