Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA CCP and magwells

1eyedfatman

While the new CCP division allows pistols to be configured like the ESP division pistols, which means magwells are legal, the box width (or depth) requirement for CCP pistols of 1 3/8" virtually eliminates every magwell on the market if you can even find one for a CCP sized pistol. Lets take the Glock 19 gen 4 for example. I measure its width to be about 1 3/16". That leaves only another 3/16" for a magwell or 1.5/16" flare on either side of the grip to fit into the box. That's a slim magwell.

While magwells are legal in CCP, the size requirements alone will probably make them not usable in the division. Anybody see it differently or have you come up with magwells that will fit, particularly for the G19?

Edited by 1eyedfatman

A friend from our club built a CCP gun on a Lone Wolf G19 frame which has a factory magwell available. To make it fit the box, he ended up grinding a huge amount from the sides. Almost looks like no magwell on the gun. Still works well because of the nice slope on the front and rear.

A friend from our club built a CCP gun on a Lone Wolf G19 frame which has a factory magwell available. To make it fit the box, he ended up grinding a huge amount from the sides. Almost looks like no magwell on the gun. Still works well because of the nice slope on the front and rear.

Do you know if he had the Timberwolf aluminum or poly magwell?

The mag well on my Kimber Tactical Pro II is 1.305 wide and I have reduced the safety until the maximum width from then right grip to the left side safety lever is 1.350. The last step was to make the 5.750 height. To do that I trimmed the steel base pad on a Wilson 10rd mag so that it barely extends below the mag well

For the glock 19 have you looked at the magwell from Viking Tactics and SAI? It looks pretty slim while adding the features of a magwell. I have not had hands on or seen in person but I am going to contact them about the dimensions later today.

if you have a gen 3 glock 19 then they make a polymer mag well for it. the one i have measures 1.45" and has room to be thinned down and still be functional i bet.

Rowdy, which poly magwell are you referring too…like the one from Glockstore? I have a G19 gen4. I sent an email to Vikings Tactics over the weekend to get the size of theirs and ask if it would fit on a G19 gen4.

I has a response from Vikings Tactics on their magwell. They said it does not work with gen4, but were not aware if someone tried it on a G19 gen4. If someone had one in stock locally, I'd try it. They did not give measurements, although requested. Maybe someone else can get the measurements. Its expensive, but looks great.

The mag well on my Kimber Tactical Pro II is 1.305 wide and I have reduced the safety until the maximum width from then right grip to the left side safety lever is 1.350. The last step was to make the 5.750 height. To do that I trimmed the steel base pad on a Wilson 10rd mag so that it barely extends below the mag well

The max width is annoying.

Pistols with Ambi Safeties will probably need trimming to fit.

The max width on my Kimber was actually not at the right safety lever. The right lever (the one a lefty would use) is closer to the frame because it doesn't have to clear the safety plunger tube. I would have had to make even a non-ambi safety of the same profile thinner to comply to the max width.

The max width on my Kimber was actually not at the right safety lever. The right lever (the one a lefty would use) is closer to the frame because it doesn't have to clear the safety plunger tube. I would have had to make even a non-ambi safety of the same profile thinner to comply to the max width.

That is fine and dandy for a Single stack, but I am referring to double stacked 9mm pistols with ambi safeties. The factory rubber grips is almost at the max width already.