Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

building a 40 with a 45 frame and slide.

gravedigger

The frame is not an issue but the slides 45 breechface is too wide. It may work but won't be the best arrangement. It will be cheaper to buy a new P16 than to buy the parts to make a 45 into a 40. You'd need a new slide, barrel, extractor, ejector, and firing pin.

If money is an issue, sell the 45 and buy a 40.

Can't be done with a .45 slide. Have to purchase & fit a .40 barrel & slide. A gunsmith will have to fit the conversion parts for you.

In addition, .40 specific conversion parts include:

-slide stop (if you want to do it correctly)

-extractor

-ejector

-firing pin

-magazine tube

-magazine follower

Gravedigger

As I'm certain you could guess - this would be a difficult challenge. That is to say it's a great way to build an unreliable gun.

If however, money wasn't a problem then it may be worth taking the blaster to a smith and having him/her build a 40 off the frame alone. Yes there would be expenses but really there's going to be expenses either way.

One other - option if you wanted to shoot lim-10 is just shoot your .45. No disadvantages there and you won't have to spend a dime (except for ammo!)

JB

Just build a new top end. I just fit a new 9mm slide and barrel to my buddies spare Para .45 so he could have a steel gun.

All he has to do is change ejectors, top ends and mags and he is ready to go. You can do the same, not that big of a deal. Just more money... ;)

Digger,

I got a real deal on a prize-table STI .40 slide about 4 years ago and used it to turn a P14 into a .40 limited gun. Change the ejector and go. I had envisioned going back and forth to .45 but never did. Had a friend that needed a .45 top end for a project so I wound up selling it. The .40 works great!

Good Luck,

Chuck

Hey Guys,

I have been running short of excuses for poor performance lately so I thought I would try something new.

Am thinking of having my local smith fit me a new 40 top end on my Para P-14 frame.... anyone think of a reason I should avoid / embrace this ? Thinking like a 2011 slide with a Schuman Barrel... some bomars .....

Any and all input will be appreciated..

Thanks

Joe

Hey Guys,

I have been running short of excuses for poor performance lately so I thought I would try something new.

Am thinking of having my local smith fit me a new 40 top end on my Para P-14 frame.... anyone think of a reason I should avoid / embrace this ? Thinking like a 2011 slide with a Schuman Barrel... some bomars .....

Any and all input will be appreciated..

Thanks

Joe

Your gun most likely isn't what's holding you back. Spend the $$$ on instruction.

You won't get the $$$ out of the Para, they don't hold their value. If you want a .40, get one you really want. If you really want a P16 then get one, by the time you get a top end built and mags you could pick-up a decent used P16.