Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match in a few years

FTDMFR

I shoot IDPA 2-3 times a month, but I hadn't shot a USPSA match in a while, so I shot one on Sunday. Here are some little things I noticed (not all of them USPSA-specific):

• On a closed slide, inserting a full mag is about, oh, 1000% harder than inserting a mag with just one dummy round in it like I do in dry fire practice. I had lots of tap-rack practice this match.
  • Clearing double-feeds on the clock is not fun. Looks like I should finally replace that weak recoil spring, huh?
  • My muzzle awareness goes out the window when clearing malfunctions.
  • Trying to match the Open guys' splits and just aiming for brown doesn't cut it.
  • Using cover and slicing the pie is hard to switch off.
  • I probably should have checked ahead of time that Bs are worth the same as Cs.
  • High round count stages and running around is pretty fun.

I'm definitely hooked and will be shooting at least one USPSA match a month.

Welcome back to USPSA. :cheers:

I can always tell an IDPA shooter shooting USPSA -

they make lots of silly mistakes like I did when I

tried IDPA - gave it up for USPSA - lot more fun. :bow: :bow:

You mean like using "tactical priority" on a classifier. (yes, I did do that on my first one)

Edited by Bkreutz

• 2 weeks later...

When you practice reloads try loading up your mags to capacity with dummy rounds. Will give you accurate weight and seating resistance.

Have fun.

Thanks. I finally loaded up a couple of mags' worth of dummy rounds. These California-neutered 10 round M&P mags are especially hard to seat when full, so I'm going to need the practice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Welcome back to the game indeed.

The match director at my club comes up with challenging stages - extreme fun :mellow:

Edited by US1

• 3 weeks later...

This spring was the first USPSA match I shot since 2006. After intensively competing--always a poor shooter--I gave it up because it felt like work and stopped being fun. I over-prepared for matches, was tense and edgy, and couldn't wait to see my score. I was always comparing myself to other shooters in my class.

Fast forward almost ten years and now I'm back to enjoying the game again and don't even check my scores. Shooting production, I try to get on squads with other shooters who look like they are there to have fun. With my ego out of the game it is becoming a lot more fun, and I don't beat myself up when I shoot badly or even miss some targets. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up shooting better now that I'm more relaxed and less invested in how I perform.

A little thing I've noticed.

I agree completely! "IDPA mode" is hard to switch off. The only way I found to change flawlessly is to switch guns. I shoot USPSA production with a G34, and soon limited with a G35... and since IDPA created the BUG and CCP divisions shooting it with a s&w shield (that's what its designed for right? Hah.)

After a couple matches switching back and forth the way I discern the two is to think USPSA is more run and gun, shoot as fast as your can see the sights. IDPA is accuracy, slow down and get your hits.

I like shooting IDPA like USPSA sometimes its fun (pending you don't mind your scores suffering)

This spring was the first USPSA match I shot since 2006. After intensively competing--always a poor shooter--I gave it up because it felt like work and stopped being fun. I over-prepared for matches, was tense and edgy, and couldn't wait to see my score. I was always comparing myself to other shooters in my class.

Fast forward almost ten years and now I'm back to enjoying the game again and don't even check my scores. Shooting production, I try to get on squads with other shooters who look like they are there to have fun. With my ego out of the game it is becoming a lot more fun, and I don't beat myself up when I shoot badly or even miss some targets. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up shooting better now that I'm more relaxed and less invested in how I perform.

A little thing I've noticed.

Good post new guy.