Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 7615

sloipscshooter

I have been IPSC shooter for 11 years. I'm a competitor in Pistol Production division with Glock 17, Shotgun Standard Manual Division with Winchester Defender 1300 (12 ga) and I would like to compete in 3-gun matches as well! Can someone recomend me rifle for 3-gun Production Division? I'm interested in Remington 7615 in .223 Rem.? Is this a good decision?

For IPSC rifle, nothing but a semi-auto with 20+ magazine capacity is going to be competitive against a full house AR-15 type rifle. This basically limits the field to .223 and larger caliber military type rifles with detachable box magazines.

There are a lot of good options besides the AR-15/M-16 variants, but generally speaking a caliber larger than .223 is at a disadvantage against the .223’s.

There is a lot of interest in the USA for a new division in 3 gun called HM (He-Man, or Heavy Metal) that requires a full power .30 caliber rifle, but generally the .223’s run the game in IPSC rifle and 3 gun tournaments. HM has yet to be recognized by World IPSC, or USPSA but is looking to be a future division from the interest it is generating in IMG type (Non-IPSC) 3 gun matches over here.

--

Regards.

According to IPSC Tournament rules, in Production Division are Handgun: Production or revolver (ex. Glock 17); Shotgun: Standard Manual (ex. Winchester Defender 1300); Rifle: Standard Manual. That means, only Rifle in Production Division is Standard Manual. Which Rifle would be the best for that category; IPSC Tournament - Production Division? Which Rifle is the best for IPSC Rifle Manual Action Standard Division?

Sorry about the brain fade. I forgot that IPSC specifies a Standard manual rifle for Production Division. In the US we don’t really run Production Division in most multi-gun matches and I didn’t pay much attention to that detail.

You still want a detachable box magazine if at all possible, or maybe the ability to load with stripper clips. Remington 700’s can be had with detachable floorplate mags and will work with stripper clips, so there is a good start. .223 and .308 are short action bolt throws so that will help with cycling speed.

Any sort of a tube magazine will be a loading problem in most matches.

--

Regards,

I was considering to get Remington 7615P but decided to get DPMS pump action AR-15 instead. I think that is better choice for manual action division because you can get lot of standard AR-15 equipments for it. I'm going to get also 7.62x39 barrel for it for major classification loadings. ( I have such Colt barrel already)

BTW Does anyone here on board have any experiens with this rifle?

I tried that same question on ar15.com but no success.

Here is the picture of that DPMS pump rifle:

DPMS_pump_rifle.jpg

Ps. I live in Finland

Yes we can and we can also use heavier bullets to get the PF 320.

With 8g (123gr)bullets 320 (pf) / 123 (gr) x 1000 = 2602 fps, which is 794 m/s.

With normal Lapua ammo you can get 720m/s out of 18" barrel (not major, just example)

You can use also 9.7g, 11.8g and 12.3g bullets

With Vihtavuori N133 powder that is easy to get major PF.

Mainly we use 9.7g bullets to get the major PF.

You can load that information to Quick Load program and calculate.

The 76X series of rifles has to much flexion on the barrel from the forend not to mention the lockup as previously stated is horrible.

Matt,

Some of the old model 760(the early ones) had a barrel/pump link-up. The 7600's have a free floating barrel. The pump rides on a completely seperate rod, it doesn't touch the barrel at all. You can run a thin booklet down the barrel all the way to the action.

I have always been suprised at the accuracy from the 7600 pump gun. For an out of the box hunting gun, they are very accurate.

I got more info about DPMS pump action rifle.

It's spring assisted but the spring can be removed and the rifle will still go as manual action.

I ordered the rifle from my exporter. 8-10 weeks delivery time from manufacturer and couple weeks from USA to Finland.

We are developing major loading for that rifle. (7.62x39 russian)

Starting with following components:

9.4 g and 9.7g Priv Partizan bullet

Sellier & Bellot case (largest room for powder)

Vihtavuori N130 powder 1.8g

I will let you know how it goes.

Some test results so far

Powder: Vihtavuori N133

Loading: 1,802g

Bullet: 9,7g PPU

Case: Sellier Bellot

Barrel: 410mm (16")

Temperature: -7 Celsius

Velocity: 636 m/s

IPSC PF: 313

Bullet: 9,4g PPU

Velocity: 645 m/s

IPSC PF: 307

Bullet: 9,7g 303 British

Velocity: 643 m/s

IPSC PF: 316

Velocity measured 3 meters from barrel

Powder load is going to be raised to 1.85g in next test session.

There were no pressure marks on used case.

We are going to make sure that it will meet major classification with both my barrels 16" and 18"

20 degrees warmer weather it will do that definately.