Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Wear on Glock 34 slide

Clay1

The Kydex itself doesn't wear the gun finish (its softer than most finishes), but it attracts and holds dust and sand through static attraction, which then acts like sandpaper. If you wash it out often with mild soap and water it really slows down the wear. On the other hand its a Glock: the worse it looks the better! ("Lose that shiny sissy gun and get yourself a Glock").

The Kydex itself doesn't wear the gun finish (its softer than most finishes), but it attracts and holds dust and sand through static attraction, which then acts like sandpaper. If you wash it out often with mild soap and water it really slows down the wear.

Y'know, I've heard that said many times - by the guy who owns a kydex holster company, natch - but in my experience that's simply not true. Even swabbing out a holster with a clean cloth frequently won't slow down the speed of "kydex wear." And why would this tendency be more pronounced with kydex than leather? Nope, if you go kydex for a holster, you're just gonna have to live with fast finish wear. The good news, in my experience, is the wear swiftly gets to a certain point and then slows immensely. In the long run, a kydex holster isn't going to give you more finish wear than leather, it'll just get you to that point a helluva lot faster.

...And frankly I'd be a bit irate if it was, since I own the copyright. A better tack would be to find a friend who gets the Blue Press and ask to borrow that issue.

Today, posting something on the internet is the equivalent of passing a magazine around in the 70s or 80s. Why would that make you irate? Isn't one of the ideas behind writing something to have lots of people read it?

You may be right about Kydex itself wearing the finish, but Kydex attracts sand and dust. When I was in graduate school we did freshman physics/chemistry demonstrations of static electricity by rubbing plastic rods with various cloths, which can generated a suprising amount of static charge. You can do the same thing with your Kydex holster: If you find the right soft cloth to rub it with (does that sound kinky?) you can use your holster to pick up paper chips from four inches away and pull all the dust off your nightstand! You can't do that with a leather holster.

Clay1,

There is a picture of my Glock in the Gallery Section.

That picture was taken a while ago. Most of the mud is off it now. And, a lot more of the black is off of the left front "slab" of the slide.

Flex,

Did you sling white paint all over your timer and mags? :D

QUOTE (Duane Thomas @ Feb 22 2005, 09:58 PM)

...And frankly I'd be a bit irate if it was, since I own the copyright. A better tack would be to find a friend who gets the Blue Press and ask to borrow that issue.

Today, posting something on the internet is the equivalent of passing a magazine around in the 70s or 80s. Why would that make you irate? Isn't one of the ideas behind writing something to have lots of people read it?

I do this for a living. It's not a hobby for me. This is how I pay the bills. If anyone wants to publish a piece of writing of mine, they have to pay me money. To not do so is illegal.