Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Okay, first of all, the word "lozenge" is one of the greatest achievments in the history of spoken language. Say it aloud a few hundred times and you'll see what I mean.

So ... what consitutes a proper lozenge? Will any old mint do? Or must a lozenge by its very nature soothe a sore throat and quiet a cough?

What characteristics put a lozenge in the superior category?

What qualities, in fact, lead one to say, "That's a damn fine lozenge."

RHINO,

I will assume that this is a topic of interest for you and you haven't inadvertently licked a South American frog as your post might indicate.

I share your facination with the lozenge. All I can add is "lozenge" refers more to the shape than the function. I am also ashamed to admit that I was unaware, not only that there was a "Superior Catagory" for lozenges, but a list of "Greatest Achievements In The History of Spoken Language" and that lozenge ranked near the top. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Barlin

"...and you haven't inadvertently licked a South American frog as your post might indicate."
BWAHAHAHAHAHA...!

Well, when he isn't sucking on lozenges (or sucking up to someone attractive) he's sucking on frogs and their intoxicating ilk, I'm certain. How else do you explain this man's behavior...? :P:P:P

RHINO,

I will assume that this is a topic of interest for you and you haven't inadvertently licked a South American frog as your post might indicate.

I share your facination with the lozenge. All I can add is "lozenge" refers more to the shape than the function. I am also ashamed to admit that I was unaware, not only that there was a "Superior Catagory" for lozenges, but a list of "Greatest Achievements In The History of Spoken Language" and that lozenge ranked near the top. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Barlin

Whoa! The text quoted above is FREAKIN' ART WORK!

I salute you, sir or madam!

Actually, a tendency for licking exotic amphibians could explain quite a bit . . . :unsure: . . . I'll have to consider that further.

I am, however, in your debt. I was ignorant ... savagely ignorant of true nature of the term "lozenge" and its original dependence on shape. Your information led me to this:

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/lozenge

Originally, I had intended on completing Great Moments in Lozenge History, a sequel to the seminal tome on the subject, Lozenge! on my own, but perhaps I should consider a collaborative effort.

After my fits of laughter ended, I decide that having nothing to add as funny as the posts already submited, I should try to present a serious answer to a most unserious question. Leaving it geometric origins aside, the modern american usage of the word is most often associated with medical matters. As such, my definition of a lozenge does not allow for great taste. It may taste terrible, tolerable, or just ok but it can not be "tasty" regardless of how amazing its other properties may be. No candy may be a lozenge.

My favorite all times bar non winner is the Exedrin QuickTab. It takes away pain quickly and does not taste offensive, though no one would call it yummy.

Let's give this thread an international flavor! As usual, if a swedish connection can be made, I feel compelled to post...Läkerol is a swedish lozenge (halspastille) sold worldwide and they are available in the US. They come in a variety of flavors

Läkerol home page (in swedish)

including salmiak also known as ammonium cloride

Witness the mystery of Läkerol salmiak

Translated from the company web site...

Salmiak specific: Salmiak is the latest addition (addiction?) to the Läkerol family, a tough character in a red-black uniform. A good ammonia lozenge with lots of flavor. Try it!

Läkerol in general: Quality is the watchword for Läkerol. (I understand that, cooking ammonia can be dangerous). In the Läkerol family, there is a whole assortment of extraordinary, good lozenges that you can always rely on. (which are they? extraordinary or merely good?) We are certain there is a flavor that will be just right for you. <Eric Idle Voice>"There ought to be a warning label stating it contains lark's vomit."

Läkerol comes in a practical packet that you can always have with you (Every ammonia addict wants their stash close by), to school, to work, to meetings, or out with friends and family. Läkerol works to refresh the mouth and throat (notice that they don't say it succeeds) and gives you self confidence in your social actvities.

This is exactly what you need, Rhino, to enhance your social activities!

Ah, yes! The pungent aroma of ammonia! That could be what my "game" is missing!

Those Swedish bad boys make Ricola seem rather pedestrian by comparison!

Carina ... would it work to just use an aqueous ammonia solution as a mouthwash until I can lay my hands on some of those Swedish Wonder Lozenges?

Vlad ... when they soothe the sore throat, do they make your tongue numb as well? I prefer lozenges that do not cause me to lose sensation in the tongue-al area. This is why I feel Sucrets, Chloroseptic, and similar products with benzocaine (or similar local anesthetic) are a bit too much for any but the most heinously sore throat.

A proper lozenge must tread the line between comfort and excess anesthesia!

Is a "cough drop," in fact, a sub-category of lozenge? I maintain that the answer is "Yes!" My current favorite is the Hall's Sugar Free Citrus Flavor. It's highly functional, yet somewhat less medicinal than the other flavors in the Hall's line of products.

Ah, yes!  The pungent aroma of ammonia!  That could be what my "game" is missing!

Those Swedish bad boys make Ricola seem rather pedestrian by comparison!

Carina ... would it work to just use an aqueous ammonia solution as a mouthwash until I can lay my hands on some of those Swedish Wonder Lozenges?

I wouldn't suggest it. Mister Clean belongs in the toliet not in the mouth!

It takes careful culinary expertise to produce edible ammonia. Perhaps the Salvi flavor of Läkerol would suite you better - a balanced combination of ammonia and violet. And then there is Läkerol special - Licorie and ammonia flavor. And don't forget Red & Spicy - a mildly spiced mixture of raspberry, ammonia, and "Red Devil" What is red devil? I have no earthly idea...My grandmother never exclaimed, "Time to go out to the garden and harvest the red devil." I have an idea that the long winter hours spent indoors in Scandinavia spawn alot of experimentation.

The funniest thing is the tag line for Läkerol - it makes people talk. Perhaps military intelligence should consider it as an interogation device. Pickled Herring and ammonia candy would make me spill my guts....

Vlad ... when they soothe the sore throat, do they make your tongue numb as well? I prefer lozenges that do not cause me to lose sensation in the tongue-al area. This is why I feel Sucrets, Chloroseptic, and similar products with benzocaine (or similar local anesthetic) are a bit too much for any but the most heinously sore throat.

No no no .. Excedrin QuickTab are headache removing goodness in lozange shape, though they call it a "fast dissolving tablet". Pashaw I say! They are shaped just like cough drops and they are a miracle of science. They leave your tongue as they found it though maybe a bit "dusty" and a the leave a strange flavor in the deep corners of you mouth. They call it peppermint. I have seen, picked, boiled, and drank peppermint. The QuickTabs arent it.

What in hell prompted this thread, anyway...??  <_<

As Flex would say, "Will this help my shooting...?" :P

I believe the newcomer, Barlin, answered your first question!

"500 Quatloos on the newcomer!"

As to the latter ... well, it might if you are prone to worrying over unresolved lonzenge issues from your childhood.