Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using 62g fmj ?

mississaugagunnut

I am new to reloading rifle and have just started working up loads for 55g and 62g fmj for my Jp upper being used in 3Gun.

The only powder I could find up in Ontario was Win748.

I am using range brass, mostly used Norinco 223 and CCI small rifle primers. The press is an XL 650 using Lee dies.

So far I have settled upon a load of 26g for the 55g projectiles, it seems accurate enough and cycles the gun no problem. There are no pressure signs on the spent brass.

I am having a hard time finding a load for the 62g fmj projectiles. Does anyone have any suggestions? I hope to buy some CFE 223 when ever it becomes available but for now I am stuck with Win 748. It meters well but I see it is temperature sensitive.

Thanks

Here is a load from the Hodgdon manual:

inchester
Twist: 1:12"
Primer: Winchester SR, Small Rifle
Barrel Length: 24"
Trim Length: 1.750"
BULLET WEIGHT62 GR. SFT SCIR
Starting Loads
Maximum Loads
Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L.
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Winchester
.224"
2.260"
44,600 PSI
52,400 PSI

Just a thought, and please don't take this wrong.

If your 62gn bullets stick to a magnet, don't bother loading them for 3gun. Most if not all matches and lots of ranges prohibit steel core/jacketed bullets. Using them will damage targets and probably get you DQd. Reason I say this is because a lot of the less expensive 62gn bullets have a steel core.

If they don't stick to a magnet, load em up! :)

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Several of the ranges I shoot at prohibit FMJ bullets in rifle (don't seem to care about pistol rounds) so I just load all the .223s with either soft point or hollow points. Most of the experts consider them - SP or HP - to be more accurate because of the way the base of the bullet is formed with those.

Loading data is not tough, use 60g data or use 69g data and work up. As far as accuracy is concerned; there are steel tip and non steel tip 62g fmj bullets. I have not found any of the steel tip, M855, C77 SS109 bullets to shoot well. I have tried some Armscorp 62g fmj and they shot like crap too.

• 2 weeks later...

Loading data is not tough, use 60g data or use 69g data and work up. As far as accuracy is concerned; there are steel tip and non steel tip 62g fmj bullets. I have not found any of the steel tip, M855, C77 SS109 bullets to shoot well. I have tried some Armscorp 62g fmj and they shot like crap too.

LOL, it's funny you should say that.

These were Armscorp, they are not steel core and they did shoot like crap. I will load all 1000 up and use them for practice ammo. The 55g projectiles were way more accurate. I was shocked at how bad the 62g were.

• 4 months later...

Hi

If I just assume you are using SS109 bullets, you can in general use any 69 gr. loading data as a good starting point. This is due to the longer bearing surface of the military bullets. Since it has a steel core the bullets gets longer, steel is lighter than lead, right. To illustrate this point put the bullet next to a Nosler CC 69gr and you will see that they are almost exactly the same length.

The length of the bullet also gives it better BC.

I have had good luck with the SS109 bullets I use, but they are Danish and of high quality. I do not think there is something in the bullet design itself that hinders precision, but many SS109 bullets are just not well made.

Be careful and work up you load.........