Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Was NOT expecting this!

Sarge

We set up the night before and do rolling squadding. Works well and keeps the day shorter for the shooters.

how does your rolling squadding work? our match has been getting bigger and bigger over the last couple years (last month was 94 shooters.)

After we set up on Friday, the crew shoots the match. On Saturday, we take the first 15-20 shooters, make two squads and put them on stage 1 2 at 8am. Every 8-10 shooters gets a nook and starts on stage 1. Squad 2 usually can jump in on stage 1 when there is a gap. Takes about 2 hours for a squad of 10 to shoot 6 classifiers. If you have field courses, you almost have to have a standing RO on each stage. Shooters just go to the shortest line and put their name on a clipboard from which we call in order like GSSF does. We close sign up at noon and are usually done about 3 with tear down. We have had a few shooters shoot all 6 classifiers in 4 Divisions every year. Makes for a long day because we only let them shoot one division at a time, but the ones who do it are all smiles.

After we set up on Friday, the crew shoots the match. On Saturday, we take the first 15-20 shooters, make two squads and put them on stage 1 2 at 8am. Every 8-10 shooters gets a nook and starts on stage 1. Squad 2 usually can jump in on stage 1 when there is a gap. Takes about 2 hours for a squad of 10 to shoot 6 classifiers. If you have field courses, you almost have to have a standing RO on each stage. Shooters just go to the shortest line and put their name on a clipboard from which we call in order like GSSF does. We close sign up at noon and are usually done about 3 with tear down. We have had a few shooters shoot all 6 classifiers in 4 Divisions every year. Makes for a long day because we only let them shoot one division at a time, but the ones who do it are all smiles.

Figured it had to be a pretty unique situation to have "rolling" squadding. We don't own the pits until after 2PM the day before the match and we are not going to waste targets and paint for 5-6 of us to shoot it so staff shoots the same day as everybody else. No way to have permanent RO's on a stage for a local. I end my sign up promptly at 9:15 so I can get geared up just like everybody else before giving my shooters briefing and moving the squads out to their starting stages in time to start shooting at 10 sharp.

We generally still finish shooting by 2ish and leave the range by 3-3:30 usually.

Figured it had to be a pretty unique situation to have "rolling" squadding. We don't own the pits until after 2PM the day before the match and we are not going to waste targets and paint for 5-6 of us to shoot it so staff shoots the same day as everybody else. No way to have permanent RO's on a stage for a local. I end my sign up promptly at 9:15 so I can get geared up just like everybody else before giving my shooters briefing and moving the squads out to their starting stages in time to start shooting at 10 sharp.

We generally still finish shooting by 2ish and leave the range by 3-3:30 usually.

Were more like Sarge's set up we don't get to set up till the afternoon before, so we set up most of the stages the afternoon evening before the match and finish set up starting at 7:00 the day of the match, then signup from 8:00 till about 9:00 then brief and start shooting as close to 9:00 as possible, regular matches have been getting bigger for us 80-90+ is the new normal so we added a 7th stage and we are done shooting about 3:00 we hire out our tear down so that helps shorten the day for the match staff but I would like to shorten the day for the shooters because I know there are a bunch that don't come because the match takes too long.