Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Comp Upgrade Opinions

bradhall

Hey guys, finally pulled the trigger and have a Versa Max Competition Tactical on it's way straight to the gunsmith for fine tuning. I run an OLD 1100, so anything is going to be an upgrade. Ive read all the threads but was wondering from those with reg tacticals or the competition model, what do you recommend getting done? What would you not get done?

My thoughts are:

open up port more

cut down handguard

weld lifter

bend shell latch

Im not for lightening the bolt. But was wondering if there is anything Im missing? Trigger job or otherwise?

Everything you have listed is what most people do to them, the lifter is the most important part as getting rid of the humped lifter and going to a c-rums or equivalent will make the biggest improvement in loading. If you send it to a gunsmith that knows VM's they will also probably recommend a radius cut on the chamber as this allows the cheaper ammo with bad crimps to run with little issues, I send mine to Triangle and they take care of it for me and mine have always run excellent - not aware of anyone doing trigger jobs to them and was told not to mess with it as lighter springs etc... can produce light strikes or so I was told. Have had great luck with both my Tactical and comp model, haven't shot the comp much yet but the tactical has been very reliable but some of that can probably be attributed to having good gunsmiths ( Triangle ) work on it -

• 3 weeks later...

Put up some pics if you would, I'd like to see the port work. I added a c-rum lifter, modified the shell latch, and beveled the hand guard on a VM tactical and it's already great. I haven't felt the need to do much else to it, but I'd like to see what good port work looks like.

The comp comes with several usefull chokes already. The only choke really missing is the light modified which is what a lot of people use as their main choke in 3 gun. For some reason (probably to save money) Remington gives you improved cylinder then skips to modified, improved modified and full. Cheaper than dirt right now has the best prices on factory remington extended chokes and tru lock chokes. I just bought a cylinder and light modified black extended tru lock chokes for $28 a piece. The remington Light Modified is like 15 bucks right now. Personally I only use three chokes in 3 gun. Cylinder for clays and easy falling targets and steel. I will go to a light modified if there is a texas star or plate rack that is more than 15 yards away ( you could get away with cylinder and#6 shot till about 20 yards but I don't like to test it ive seen too many cylinder bores not take down texas stars). I will use a full for 25 yard steel or a spinner. If you only have the money for one choke get the light modified. You can treat the improved cylinder you already have as a cylinder substitute and you already have the tighter chokes. Some people also like the diffuser chokes for clays but I have not run one. I wouldn't worry about the brands but some people will disagree I think remington/carlson/briley/tru lock are interchangeable for what we do.

The comp comes with several usefull chokes already. The only choke really missing is the light modified which is what a lot of people use as their main choke in 3 gun. For some reason (probably to save money) Remington gives you improved cylinder then skips to modified, improved modified and full. Cheaper than dirt right now has the best prices on factory remington extended chokes and tru lock chokes. I just bought a cylinder and light modified black extended tru lock chokes for $28 a piece. The remington Light Modified is like 15 bucks right now. Personally I only use three chokes in 3 gun. Cylinder for clays and easy falling targets and steel. I will go to a light modified if there is a texas star or plate rack that is more than 15 yards away ( you could get away with cylinder and#6 shot till about 20 yards but I don't like to test it ive seen too many cylinder bores not take down texas stars). I will use a full for 25 yard steel or a spinner. If you only have the money for one choke get the light modified. You can treat the improved cylinder you already have as a cylinder substitute and you already have the tighter chokes. Some people also like the diffuser chokes for clays but I have not run one. I wouldn't worry about the brands but some people will disagree I think remington/carlson/briley/tru lock are interchangeable for what we do.

Thanks, mine isn't a "comp" model.. I'll look into grabbing a few.. any advantages to the more expensive briley chokes i've seen for the VM over the remington brand ones?

Well to me spending $60 bucks for a briley in light modified, extended and black was worth it for my 870 police magnum for the NRA TPC matches I do (don't even ask about all their stupid rules). For a 3 gun shotgun the answer is "no" there is no difference. I'm not sure remington makes a black, extended cylinder bore so paying extra was worth it for me. If you don't care about color or extended or not, buy whatever you get a deal on. I'm sure others may disagree but that is the beauty of the internet and freedom right?

I'll get some pics up soon. It looks great, the puke green is growing on me. Have not had a chance to shoot yet but got some reload practice in tonight. With my 1100 I was barely sub-8 seconds for a dependable load 8 using load-two method. I got a few 4.9 -5.0 second load 8 tonight, 5.5-6 all day. If you get some momentum just right, you can almost throw the shells in. I am very pleased with the work from Triangle, cant wait to get some real practice time and shooting in.