Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When is taping legal

kitsapshooter

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does USPSA allow "hot bays"?

I have been to several IDPA Sanctioned matches where all competitors were loaded, but not allowed to leave the bay without ULSC.

Everyone loaded, everyone downrange taping & resetting etc. No issues.

Not that I'm aware of. There are instances in multigun where competitors may partially pre-load shotguns (full magazine tube, chamber empty with a flag) to speed up the stage, but I think that's as close as you're going to get.

I think the idea of a "hot bay" is stupid. I've seen IDPA competitors who should know better unholster guns while in a gaggle resetting a stage in response to getting grief from another competitor about how they shot a previous stage.

Does USPSA allow "hot bays"?

I have been to several IDPA Sanctioned matches where all competitors were loaded, but not allowed to leave the bay without ULSC.

Everyone loaded, everyone downrange taping & resetting etc. No issues.

There are times when their are two stages in one bay and you move from one to the other "hot". Or do you mean like "hot" all the time while in a bay waiting to shoot?

There are times when their are two stages in one bay and you move from one to the other "hot". Or do you mean like "hot" all the time while in a bay waiting to shoot?

The squad was lined up and given the LAMR command. All competitors were hot during that stage until after they shot.

I think the idea of a "hot bay" is stupid. I've seen IDPA competitors who should know better unholster guns while in a gaggle resetting a stage in response to getting grief from another competitor about how they shot a previous stage.

Were they DQ'd?

The squad was lined up and given the LAMR command. All competitors were hot during that stage until after they shot.

Really? Wow

Really? Wow

Not that unusual... It's even in the Rule Book:

2.11 The question of Hot and Cold ranges at the local club level is subject to individual club policy. This issue is the sole responsibility of local clubs and is beyond IDPA control. Matches sanctioned by IDPA are required to operate under the Cold range rule, but may use Hot Bays if desired.

2.11.1 A Cold range is defined as a range where all shooters’ firearms must be unloaded unless under the direct supervision of a SO.

2.11.2 A Cold range with Hot bays is defined as "a range that does not allow loaded firearms in the holster outside of the shooting bays but does allow for loaded firearms in the holster within the shooting bays as directed by and under the supervision of the SOs.” Loaded firearms may only be handled while on the firing line when the shooter is given specific Range Commands and is under the direct supervision of a SO.

2.11.2.1 With direct supervision from the SO, and when given specific Range Commands, an entire squad of shooters will line up across the bay, face down range and will “Load And Make Ready” as a group.

2.11.2.2 The perimeter of the bay will be well defined as well as any area designated as a "Safe Area" where handling of ammunition and loaded firearms is not permitted. A procedure for requesting to be unloaded to exit the bay will be established by the CSO and explained to all participants during the stage briefing. If a shooter for any reason needs to leave a Hot Bay, the shooter must contact one of the SOs in that bay to safely unload the firearm before leaving the bay.

2.11.2.3 If a shooter for any reason does not wish to load his firearm with the group, the shooter is not to be penalized.

2.11.2.4 As each shooter finishes the stage he/she will be given the “Unload And Show Clear command, and upon completion, his/her firearm will remain unloaded until the next stage. The shooter may then leave the shooting bay if needed without contacting the SO.

2.11.3 A Hot range is defined as a range where each shooter has the choice to carry a loaded firearm at any time. Loaded or unloaded firearms may only be handled while on the firing line and under the direct supervision of a SO.

No, that's not allowed in USPSA. In your example, having an RO instructing the entire squad to LAMR might circumvent this rule:

10.5.13 Having a loaded firearm other than when specifically ordered to by the Range Officer.

Because the RO actually would have ordered it, but there's still this one:

5.2.1 Carry and Storage – Except when within the boundaries of a safety area, or when under the supervision and direct command of a Range Officer, competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun bag or in a holster securely attached to a belt on their person (see Rule 10.5.1).

Since the RO has only one person under their supervision and direct command during a COF (the shooter), everyone else must be unloaded. Not to mention you'd also have to have someone ULSC you before you could even enter a Safety Area.

Edited by JAFO

Were they DQ'd?

No. That particular group of IDPA folks had a clique around the MD. If you were in the clique, calls magically went your way and you were given "grace" for things like drawing a gun in the middle of a gaggle to make a point about why your last stage sucked.