Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about CCI #400 Vs #450 primers

chopps

Ok I have a question about something I commented on earlier can someone verify this,
CCI #400 Primers Vs CCI #450 Primers.
I may have got some miss labeled so here we go,
On CCI's website it says the #400's are yellow and the #450's are blue and are they refering to the color inside the primer ?
I had a box that was colored Blue and said small rifle primers "magnum" in little red letters but, when I deprimed one of the ones I loaded with them it was yellow inside so now I am not sure if the were really Magnums and just regular small rifle ones. Can someone who has both check out the 2 of them side by side please ?
Thanks

blairmckenzie 1 , I am loading 223 , 69 grain HPBT with 24.5 grains of Varget. The box they were in said magnum in little red letters but other than that the box looked just like the 400's and now I need to buy more and not sure what the heck I had.

Talked to CCI tech department and they said there is no way to tell other than in the box they come in other than pulling the anvil out and measuring them that way.

No color difference in the foil under the anvil also they could be in a white, grey or black tray.

That's a hell of a way to do things IMO.

Unless there have been changes, a CCI 400 primer should have a cup thickness of 0.0195 and the CCI 450 cup should be 0.0255.

I had proposed, many years ago, that all primers be marked such that they could be identified even when seated in the casing. Didn't fly, but I'd still like to see it happen.

Guy