Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What PT grip for my Sti

Noah my boy

Have a limited gun from Camerons and the grip is worn out gonna need a new one. Was looking into getting a PT although stainless aggressive is about 500+ And the the aluminum is about 400+ what's the advantage of either one or do I just get a new extreme shooters grip? If money was no object I wouldent question the PT grip as I have felt my buddy's open gun and love that it, but being so pricy I want to hear some pros and cons?

I have a few and I really can't think of a con. Maybe that you have to fit it STI frames and it could take a while is a con but that is not absolute. The weight is awesome, shifts the weight in the right area, feels solid, better grip than any plastic grip I've ever had, feels better than most of the custom plastic grips I've had. The other thing I just remembered is there was a small issue in the beginning with reloads. The plastic grip is more forgiving during mag changes and the PT is not. If you flub a mag change and twist it off enough, it will get stuck in the PT grip. After a little bit of practice, it has not happened since and I've shot at least 10-15 matches and countless practice sessions. I'm speaking only of the steel grip with the aggressive texture. I had a plain one at first and didn't like the idea of skateboard tape and it felt too bulky so the steel aggressive is the one for me.

All in how heavy you like it, and weight distribution. IIRC, the aluminum grip adds ~1 oz over plastic, and stainless is ~8 oz more than plastic. To me, the stainless really improves the balance of the gun, helping take away a heavy nose. This observation is for an Open gun, but it would improve the balance of a Limited, too.

I had the SS Aggressive texture for about a month. Just couldn't get used to it. Just to rough for my liking. Now I am a working man not a desk jockey lol. Nothing wrong with that just noting I do have a rough hands. I also have a strong grip and think that might have been my issue. After a stage or practice run my hands would be bright red with needle pokes. Never held the semi-aggressive but did try a smooth with sandpaper and really liked that as I run sandpaper now

I just ordered a SS aggressive this week. Going to try one on my limited gun. If i like it, I'll order another for the open gun I am planning. They are running 8-10 weeks out right now.

Remember, if you find the aggressive to be too aggressive, you can always take it down a bit with some sturdy sandpaper. With stainless it will take a while but, take it slow until it's where you like it.

good luck on that 8-10 weeks. I ordered a grip back in November and still don't have it.

Not denying what you said here. A big part of this equation is that orders have been strong, and they had a very significant theft of product and guns on their way to Gator last year right at this time.

What I can say, though, is that lead times will be dropping very soon. And NOT because of lack of orders. Additional manufacturing capacity is just about ready to come on line.

The SV is a better value by far for the quality and the price paid for it. However even if you specify to SV that it is for a STI frame there is often fitting issues with them, so the PT MAY be a easier fit. I do think it's funny that I have been shooting a Caspian HiCap framed gun for years and everyone said it was too heavy, now everyone wants heavy? Personally I have always loved the heavy frame with a substantially lightened slide but that's just me.

Requested an PT textured aluminum grip back in September and was told I'd get a call back in 8-10 weeks for my CC charge. Have not received an update yet.. It may be a longer line than you think so if you go that route, do it now!!!

Edited by NoSteel

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer the aggressive, I have an aluminum with the aggresive finish and it's great, some think it's to much, but I like it.

What gun are you shooting? Limited or open? Looking at the alum. Because of the cost factor between SS and alum.

I have the SS aggressive grip on my Open STI GM and love it. I did CerKote it and that took just a little of the aggressiveness away but still it's way better than grip tape or textured plastic grips.

Edited by grantwoodok

I have also have on order a SS grip with the regular texture for my wife's open gun. It was ordered Dec. 2014. I also ordered their ambi safety and slide stop/thumb rest at the same time. Those came in 4 weeks ago but I'm still waiting on the grip...