Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you think about my Bayou 147, Titegroup, G34 load adjustment?

1eyedfatman

New to reloading with a refurbed Dillon 650 and starting out with only 9mm for IDPA/USPA/etc. Got through my first 1000 reloads. This is my current mix:

- Bayou 147gr FP coated bullets

- Titegroup 3.2gr

- 1.14 OAL (I definately get some variation here from 1.138 to 1.144 mostly)

- Glock 34 gen 4 with KKM barrel

First indoor chrono tonight gave average power factor 140.27 with low being 138.52 and high being 142.59. To get closer to 125PF, I'm thinking of reducing my powder to 3.0gr. You guys think that is a reasonable adjustment?

All other things being held equal, my reloading spreadsheet shows a 6pf difference when you drop the powder by two tenths. I have numbers based on different bullet weights (165 and a 137) with chronograph, and both bullet weights showed that same 6pf difference. This was using Titegroup.

So, based on my data combined with your numbers, you probably need to drop it to 2.8 to get a PF of 128. That's just an estimate, but there you go. :)

Edited by robertwyatt

I shoot Gen 3 G34's with N320, and have only limited experience with TG, but I have heard and personally found it to be the case that, even lightly sprung, the Glocks seem to run more reliably closer to 135 PF. YMMV, but you might want to test a hundred or so rounds WHO or SHO or some similar test of cycling function before cranking out a couple thousand at 25 to 130 PF with your "high capacity" press and then getting major aggravation with rounds that won't play.

jus' sayin... :)

Edited by kevin c

You may find out you will need to drop your recoil spring to speed your slide up. My Glock 34 Gen 3 runs a PF of 129/130 with 135 gr Bayou Bullets, and 3.3gr of TG, but the factory spring was too much, and slowed the slide down where I was waiting on the slide to shoot again. I dropped to a 13lb spring, and it really woke my Gen3 up.

I found at a match tonight that I was getting some tumblers. I shot the first 2 stages with the new TG 3.0gr adjustment, then the final 2 stages going back to the TG 3.2gr. I didn't see all the hits, but fellow shooters/tapers with both bullets said I had some tumblers. Maybe 2-3 per stage and it seemed worse (the hole shape) with the 3.0 I think, but not sure as we were moving pretty quick and I didn't get to look at most of the holes.

The advise to me from some guys at the match was to try increasing my crimp. I have a Lee 9mm carbide crimp die in my Dillon. What say you guys? Should I leave the powder measure set at TG 3.0 and tighten down my crimp die? How much would you suggest (quarter turn, half turn)? I have about 350 rounds with the TG 3.2gr. So I could crank out another 100 rounds with the 3.0gr with more crimp and try it again this weekend. I have a sanctioned IDPA match end of the month so I hope to get something situated by then.

PS…in my G34, I have the 13lb spring and just about everything else you can do to the thing. :mellow:

If you are having tumbles your accuracy suffers. I would not tighten your crimp because the coating isn't thick. Increase your powder charge and then check for accuracy. Regardless of power factor, 900+ fps seems to be the threshold for 147s to decrease tumbling

I shot the 1/4 turn extra crimp rounds today (TG 3.0, 147 Bayou, 1.14 OAL) at a uspsa match. They shot ok as far as no malfunctions. I had 1 comment of tumbler, but I had a mix of the old stuff in there too so I don't know which ones it came from. I chrono'd the new rounds.

The avg FPS was 944.75 and the avg PF was 138.88.

Interesting thing was the guy testing with me also had a G34, but mine has a KKM bbl and his stock bbl and he was getting lower readings with his (Cimeron coated 147gr which look just like my Bayou, TG 3.0 like me, 1.115 OAL, cci primers like mine, and he said a loose crimp probably because of the coating). We swapped 3 rounds to see if the bbl's would make a difference.

- My KKM bbl, his rounds my FPS went from 944.75 to 887 and my PF went from 138.88 to 130.39

- His stock bbl, my rounds, his FPS went from 901 to 929.33 and his PF went from 132.447 to 136.6

So, my KKM bbl seems to produce more velocity then his stock bbl on my rounds (my gun=944.75, his 929.33). He said my rounds felt more like factory .147's compared to his. :(

I still haven't been able to confirm if my extra 1/4 crimp has solved my tumbler issues. I guess I need to do that first. But if it did help, then I'm still sitting on a mix that's still a little hotter then needed. I'm still too new to this to know how crimp and OAL might impact my velocity…any suggestion there would be appreciated. The only sure thing I know to do is lower Titegroup powder down to 2.9gr measure. Some comments seem to indicate I could be on the fridges of accuracy, but maybe with my higher velocity KKM bbl, it would essentially be the same as 3.0 from a factory bbl?

Edited by 1eyedfatman