Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 rear sight on shotguns and recoil

Vlad

Hi all, I had MOA install a 10/22 rear sight on my M3000 and I noticed that after about 100rd or so the pin on which the sight pivots began to drift. Anyone had that issue and how have you fixed it?

That can sometime happen on that style of sight (same thing happens on the pinned Gold Cup Elliason and Ruger revolver sights). Fixes include a slight bend in the pin to provide more tension, stake each end of the pin hole closed on the sigh base, or some blue Loctite on the pin (flip the sight up/down a few time after the Loctite dies to loosen up the hinge)

Just got back in from the 3GN sw regional match and saw this. I will look at it and see if I can come up with an elegant fix. We haven't seen it before, but we have only put the 10/22 sights on about 20 guns, so we certainly haven't had a chance to see all possible problems. I will post up here later today or tomorrow.

Vlad- PM on the way!

Yes I ran into that problem when I first put a 10-22 sight in back in 97. The fix was to drift the pin out a little ways, not so it comes all the way out of the body on both sides but just a little way. put a drop of red loc-tite on the part sticking out and some in the hole on the other side with a tooth pick, then drift the pin back in. It has worked since 98 anyway.

Hey Tom I staked one once for a guy......once..... cracked the hosing right away waited a week, reinstalled the NEW sight and then all was well. Maybe too big a hammer, or too little skill :)

So my first experiment with color coded adhesives might have been a failure. Although I tried very carefully to only apply it to the outside "ears" it clearly migrated and glued the entire thing in the down position. A bit of force fixed that with no damage, but it seems that fold down part is spinning the pin. It did this before as well, while it was drifting, so it means nothing but I hope that the pin is now glued to the blade, and spinning freely in the end pieces which would be fine. If drifts again, I'll purposely glue it to the blade and let the ends spin

If you run a 10-22 sight on an M2 you will need a taller front sight in general. The M2 rib isn't the same as the M1 where the sight is cut in.

I will have to measure it now. I have a High Viz FO on the front now, but not sure how tall it is.

I am tired of my slugs hitting high left, I don't want to bend the barrel, and I know that sometimes I forget my KY windage on the clock.

Hmmm....Djeffers, did you miss the big thread on the fix to Benelli impact problems. Red Neck Tactical made a gauge/fixture that cures that problem WITHOUT bending the barrel. There are several places that have this fixture Like Accurate Iron, Taran Tactical, Triangle shooting Sports, and Rose Action Sports that can get it all fixed up.

Edited by kurtm

Here is the sight on a M2 barrel. Notice that it is taller than the plane of the rib so (all things being equal) you'll need a taller front bead/sight as Kurt mentioned to maintain POA/POI

c3c3c919.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm....Djeffers, did you miss the big thread on the fix to Benelli impact problems. Red Neck Tactical made a gauge/fixture that cures that problem WITHOUT bending the barrel. There are several places that have this fixture Like Accurate Iron, Taran Tactical, Triangle shooting Sports, and Rose Action Sports that can get it all fixed up.

Yes, I did miss that thread!

• 7 months later...

Yes, I did miss that thread!

Do you have a link to it, please?