Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cordura weight for DIY IDPA vest

packeagle

Hey all, I'm looking to sew up my own custom IDPA vest. I cut my teeth with sewing on camping equipment, and I think I can make the vest to my specific preferences better if I do it myself over contracting it out. I'm having a problem sourcing suitable material for the project. I want to use Uncoated Cordura. I am trying to determine what the best weight. I'm looking at 1000D and 500D.

Does anyone know what weight is used in the Competitive Concealment vest? I've had the chance to handle one of their vests and it would be a good comparison for when I decide to place my fabric order.

1000D is going to be too heavy for your whole application, I think. You might actually make the front panels out of 1000D for the rigidity, then use 500D for the sides/rear of the vest; that should give you a nice sweep on the draw.

I would be a little worried about how hot the vest is going to be, but I'm sure you can engineer your way around it.

Be careful where you place the mesh. If the gun can be seen, it will be illegal for IDPA.

That includes holster, mags, and carriers as well. But it's still fairly easy to get some venting and have the gun concealed if you think about placement a bit.