Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zev Tech "Ultimate" Trigger-Legal For Production?

dart368

If you go to Midway's and look up the product right there black and white it says Production legal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/822542/zev-technologies-standard-complete-drop-in-trigger-kit-glock-gen-4-9mm-luger-polymer-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The Standard trigger features a welded tab behind the trigger pad that is not visible (thus being SSP and Production legal) that shortens the amount of trigger pre travel.

I emailed GW to see if they ever got it in writing and it was published somewhere.
Otherwise I guess I'll just have to spend money and get a different trigger.

OMG. More USPSA BS.

So the NROI Director doesn't have the say on what's legal or not?

He does if he issues an official interpretation. Giving someone his private opinion may or may not carry weight with the RM at any individual -- verification becomes a problem.......

And keep in mind that production is a little different -- range officials can require you to point out the language in Appendix D4 that specifically permits the modification......

I'm not saying it's likely to happen; I'm saying it's possible -- and that competitors should weight the risks and the benefits when making equipment decisions for production.

Some of us may come down comfortably close to the line that places full faith in Amidon's opinion; others may be more comfortable resting a little further away......

But yes -- we do have rule that makes the RM the ultimate authority on what's legal in any division -- see 6.2.5.2:

6.2.5 Where a Division is unavailable or deleted, or where a competitor fails to declare a specific Division prior to the commencement of a match, the competitor will be placed in the Division which, in the opinion of the Range Master, most closely identifies with the competitor’s equipment. If, in the opinion of the Range Master, no suitable Division is available, the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

6.2.5.1 However, if a competitor fails to satisfy the equipment or other requirements of a declared Division during a course of fire, the competitor will be placed in Open Division, if available, other-wise the competitor will shoot the match for no score.

6.2.5.2 A competitor who is classified or reclassified as above must be notified as soon as possible. The Range Master’s decision on these matters is final.

I have moved more people to open than I care to mention with Glock triggers where the manufacturer claimed they were production legal. I have also withdrawn guns from competition because the trigger did not meet the function checks with the safeties. Granted, most RMs and Chrono officers don't know what to look for nor how to check, but the rules are pretty clear.

If you go to Midway's and look up the product right there black and white it says Production legal.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/822542/zev-technologies-standard-complete-drop-in-trigger-kit-glock-gen-4-9mm-luger-polymer-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The Standard trigger features a welded tab behind the trigger pad that is not visible (thus being SSP and Production legal) that shortens the amount of trigger pre travel.

I emailed GW to see if they ever got it in writing and it was published somewhere.
Otherwise I guess I'll just have to spend money and get a different trigger.

It gets tricky quickly -- from a quick read of Appendix D4, I don't know how I would rule -- but you might have difficulty pointing out language that specifically permits modifications to the trigger bar that change the appearance of the trigger when the gun is in battery.....

There's some language there that concerns me. Of course I don't know how likely it is that someone would notice your trigger and bring it to the match staff's attention, either.....

I think I will stick to my "Stock" trigger set up with the polish job and lightened springs. I am thinking that in the course of fire, how much of a difference can the "Ultimate" trigger make over a good quality polish and spring job...oh boy, did I just open up a whole new can of worms now with THAT question? :eatdrink:

• 2 months later...

Any updates with this? I'm pretty disappointed that Zev hasn't addressed the issue (that I know of) and proposed a solution or upgrade path for its customers.

If you filled the holes on the trigger, would it still be "externally visible" and therefore be legal?