Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulging cases

I have a dillon 550, lately when I have been reloading I cannot get the rounds to go into my .40 case guage.  It seems the majority of them are bulging towards the bottom of the case in the last 1/8 inch which does not allow the case to go all the way in the guage or if I test fit the round in the barrell.  It would seem that the sizing die is not going all the down, but it is. I have it going all the way down to the shell plate. Ive heard EGW makes a good undersizing die and Ive already ordered one, but any info on what this problem might have been would be helpfull.    

Where are you getting your brass? It sounds like it is tupperware brass, which sucks in real guns. The EGW die works great at solving the problem. If it is not glock brass your feed ramp might be cut a little deep which causes the same problem.

my friend used to have the same problem in his 650 so he took his sizing die and shortened it so there was just a tiny bit of the radius in the mouth left so it would size further down the brass . He was shooting both a glock and a 1911 at the time and didnt want to have to keep track of what brass came out of what gun .

Here's one for the FAQ threads....

The EGW die seems to be THE solution for this.  I use a Hornaday die which gets most of the bulge out (Die has to be totally bottomed out).  You could buy roll-sized brass.  One of the forum members purveys this, I believe.  

If this brass is *severely* bulged, I would question the wisdom of reloading altogether.  Brass that's been stretched too much near the feedramp is an accident waiting to happen IMHO.

(Edited by EricW at 10:05 am on Mar. 2, 2003)

ManDown75,

I have to agree with EricW.  I am quite cautious about brass that has bulged near the rim (to the point of being paranoid).  You would have to save quite a bit of money reloading that bulged brass to compensate for a blown gun, and quite a bit more to reattach fingers.  I have grown quite attached to my little digits, and like to think that they will stay attached to ME!  I assume you share that attitude.  Please be careful with that "once bulged" brass, as it will weaken it when it bulges, weaken more when resized, and repetition of this process would scare the begeebees out of me.

Just my opinion....        Jeff

Jeff,                Ditto.                                                               Mandown75,       I sort brass and toss anything with rectangular firing pin marks in 40, 45,s seem to not have this problem. Tupperware has a distinctive pin mark, I consider it the mark of the beast in 40 brass.                                Travis F.

I guess I may have been missunderstood, all the brass I shoot is generally 1X fired brass and I would say it is qualaity brass i.e. winchester, speer.  When I say bulging I mean in wont fit in the case guage the last little bit of the case.   Im sure that is not the type of brass that I need to stay away from or is it.....When you say stay away from the rectangular firing pin brass I know you mean glock fired brass, is that typical from a glock to have the brass bulge at the rear of the case.

Yes, Glock cuts the feed ramp too deep. It helps them to feed just about any crap ammo you can find. I've loaded it and never had any problems. I generally lose it before it is real worn out. 90% of the once-fired that comes from a LE range is going to have or be mostly glock brass.

FWIW, I use some, if not most, of the Glock brass I find.  It's worth noting that there is a wide variation in the severity of bulges from gun to gun.  The issue is not the quality of the brass.  The issue is work-hardening of the brass which is what happens when it is severely stretched and reformed.  Work-hardened brass is very dangerous because rather than stretch, it cracks: a MAJOR problem in a handgun.

My methodology:

Cases with large bulges hit the garbage can.   Cases with questionable bulges hit the garbage can.  Cases with any questionable defect whatsoever hit the garbage can....

knowwhutimeanhere?

OK...all you he-man Glock haters...get a grip!  angryfire.gif

This question isn't about the brass.  It is about the sizing die.  Unless the brass is nasty bad (if so, toss it), then a resizing die that goes further down the case should should take care of things.

I use regular Lee dies.  Nearly every loaded round makes it through my Dillon case gauge.  There are other dies out there that will do even better (EGW).

Flex,

I'm not bashing here.  I agree that the right die can fix 90% of the issues with Glock brass, but I've seen Glock brass that *nobody* should consider reloading for very practical safety issues.  I love Glocks too, but the truth is the truth.  Brass that's been guppy bellied almost to the extractor groove is a poor choice to reload.  People's hands and guns are worth more than a nickel.

EricW,

(I know your not bashing...I just feel like getting on the soapbox tonight.)

Again...that is a reloading issue.  ALL BRASS needs to be checked before and after reloading.  I take extra steps in my reloading process so that I get to "handle" the brass...thus providing extra opportunities to weed out the bad brass.  If the brass is too far out...trash it.

Every loaded round goes through a case gauge.  Pass/Fail

-----------

I just wish they would fix the damn feed ramp cut!

Chriss,

There is nothing to fix.  The ramp is designed that way on purpose.  You simply have a different perspective.

---------------

There is a bit of a learning curve that goes with loading 40.  Inspecting brass should be part of it.  Fully sizing the case should be part of it.  Component selection should be part of it.  READING and learning from reloading books should be part of it.  Gauging the finished round should be part of it.

:)  Rant off.

Flex,                                                        I dont hate glocks, just hate the brass that comes out of them in 40sw. 45's seem fine. Never even considered loading 9mm, it is even cheaper than I am. IMHO brass that has been stretched in this area is not worth the risk however slight it may be, YMMV.                                Travis F.

Bulged case are bad, regardless of the source.  Toss them.

Working the brass is bad.  40 brass doesn't last forever.  Working it too much makes it go quickier.

My experience tells me that once fired 40 Glock brass is fine.

Range brass sucks.  You don't know it's history.

--------------

Of the three guns that I saw blow cases last year...one was a Para P-16, one a STI, and one a Glock.  The Para and the STI were with reloads.  I was RO'ing the STI.  I found the case.  It blew out in the 6 o'clock position.  ;)  The Glock was using factory ammo that I have heard stories about (not the first time this ammo has been at fault).  

I roll size because even if the brass comes from police ranges that only shoot factory, you never know what kind of gun it was in. It is a reliablity issue, I do not like it when the gun won't quite go into battery by itself.

With once fired so cheap, it is silly to shoot major loads with anything other than once fired then leave them or trash them. If you can get your gun to run 100% without rollsizing, more power to ya.

All I know is that I NEVER worry whether or not the brass will be a problem. I know it won't.

Ward

I did a search for "EGW" and could not find a link.  Do any of you know how to contact them?  I just got a glock 35 and I have been reloading with Dillon dies and have not seen a problem yet.  I would prefer to have the die prior to needing it.  Thanks for your response.

Jim

Sacred cow...lol.  Good rhetoric.

I view the Glock as simple tool.  This tool cost $400-500 and is good enough to WIN.

The 40S&W isn't the safest brass to reload.

The Glock has a looser chamber than most all custom guns.  So do many other production-type gun.  The Glock doesn't fully support the case in the six o'clock postion.  Same thing with other guns.

The thing is...there are soooooo many Glock 40's out there.  I don't have any numbers, but I'd guess that there are more Glock 40's than anything else...by far.  With that many out there, you are bound to hear about them more than anything else.  

Brass.  Be smart about it.  A bulged case is a bulged case.  If it is bulged, toss it in the trash.

Know where the brass comes from.  No range brass for Major power factor.  

Like TBF said...constant shooting and then re-sizing works the brass.  Know this, and take whatever cautions you feel comfortable with.  You can't load 40's until the case splits.

I shoot lots of 40's in my Glock.  I buy lots of once-fired brass (I don't try to get too many reloads out of the brass...it's cheap.  I just buy more once-fired stuff.)  YMMV