Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Time Reloading 40 S&W (Good News & Bad News)

wmetzler01

Just finished my 1st set of 100 reloads on my new Dillion 550.

OAL 1.135, 4.3 grains of Titegroup, Lee undersize die all cases, CCI small pistol primers, and everyone passed the Lyman case gauge . All was well until about the 75th round, instead of the normal "bang", a "pop" occurred and I had powder blast back though the pistol towards me (thank you eye protection). Gun is now stuck, cannot complete its cycle, and I cannot free it.

As I was reloading, I was having problems with the primers spinning on their side and flipping the wrong way. I checked every primer and all were flush and none were sticking-up proud.

Really bummed as I was having a great practice session.

Any thoughts welcome.

Will

PS - anyone know a good gunsmith in Raleigh NC or Burlington NC - I can't clear this jam for the life of me. I'm guessing a new barrel is needed.

Edited by wmetzler01

What kind of gun? Sounds like a primer may have been pierced. Could have a firing pin stuck in it.

I had a vaguely similar lockup when I left a dummy round in the chamber and then did a couple hundred DA dry fire cycles, eventually driving the firing pin through the primer. Took a little trouble to get it back apart.

Edited by Beastly

It's a STI Edge with the Dawson Competition Read Package. It's only two years old.

Anyone have a link that shows how to post pictures? Once I figure out how to post pictures I will get them up.

I've been dry firing a lot, maybe the firing pin crapped out?

Thanks!!

Will

Edited by wmetzler01

Two things. Did the case eject after the pop and a new one get pulled from the mag? If so, did you fire that round after the pop?

if the pop round did not eject, there is the possibility that the bullet exited the case just slightly and got locked into the rifling. Something you can try. ..squib rod and drive the bullet back into the case...or put the slide of the gun on the edge of a table where the barrel clears the edge of the table, and push down on the grip hard.

Two things. Did the case eject after the pop and a new one get pulled from the mag? If so, did you fire that round after the pop?

if the pop round did not eject, there is the possibility that the bullet exited the case just slightly and got locked into the rifling. Something you can try. ..squib rod and drive the bullet back into the case...or put the slide of the gun on the edge of a table where the barrel clears the edge of the table, and push down on the grip hard.

Thank you for responding!

No ejection Sir, I'll try to tap the round back or the table trick.

More to come shortly!

Will

Sounds like case head separation. You got the base of the round out, but there is still a circular sleeve in the gun?

Yes Sir, the circular sleeve is still stuck. Also the primer looks normal, but I did have blow back and the depression from the firing pin strike is pushed flat.

Thanks

Will

Edited by wmetzler01

The slide is stuck solid in place and I cannot get it to move. I tried pushing it and it would not budge - even tried tapping it with a mallet and no luck.

Never had a jam like this before; I thought it was a squib load but it may be crappy brass. Or even worse, metal cases that look like brass.

Than you all for your comments and suggestions!

I may take it over to Chris Tilley's range as it's just down the street from my office. His dad does gun smithing on high precision rifles and hopefully he can help.

Might have some case shrapnel in the workings of the slide/frame. Sounds like a bulged barrel too. But if you know you didn't fire a round on top of a squib that shouldn't be the problem. Maybe see if you can tap it back closed then back open etc. Like rocking a car out of the mud.

You may have a much more serious problem than just a piece of stuck brass. The barrel may be bulged. I'm betting now, since we now know more, that you had a squib, and fired another round behind it. I have seen this happen twice. Both times the bullets cleared the barrel, and both times it bulged the barrel. If it bulged the barrel, the bushing won't let the slide come back past the point where it's bulged. There is no reason why the slide won't open the rest of the way if you have it open 1/4-1/2 inch already.

That video does show a good way to clear a jam but it is totally bogus regarding 9MAJOR brass being the problem. My guess would be those rounds were loaded dry with a tight die. But anyway..........

Thank you both for your input - I agree, does not look good but it could have been much worse. That said, I need to find out what happened so it doesn't happen again (e.g. was it a squib load, too much carbon build-up from not cleaning the barrel enough, over crimped the load, bad brass, high primer,firing pin punched the primer, etc.)

I sent some pictures to b1gcountry and he should be posting them up soon as I cannot post pictures yet.

Although it's possible I double fed behind the squib, I don't think I did this as there would have been much more damage. I've cleared many jams in the past, and the round that fired before did not make a different noise; the moment I had the "pop" and blow back I dropped the mag, tapped, and tried to rack and that's when I noticed it was frozen.

Thank you all for your help!

Will

Edited by wmetzler01

Dropped the pistol off at the smith; his first words were "wow, that is really stuck". Not the worse he's seen though - but pretty bad.

He'll know the cause once he gets into it; however, it appears the case head separated once the striker hit the primer. The brass, super high quality "perfecta" decided to go on strike and took my barrel with it.

He's thinking the barrel is shot, but if that is the case I'll upgrade the barrel to a 5.4 infinity sight tracker and make a few more mods while I'm at it. The bull barrel really saved me from injury as he was showing me a Glock in 40 s&w that had a failed case. The damage was really bad as it looked like someone peeled the slide from the extraction port towards the front sights, the frame was split bad as well. The failure was caused by a new factory load from a major producer (think one with an eagle on the box). The company is buying him a new Glock.

I should have did a better job selecting the brass as several on this forum stated they sort by headstamp, so in the end it is my fault.

That said, I'll be making some changes to reloading methods for 40 S&W: 1). I've purchased new never fired winchester brass. 2). I've purchased a Dillion powder alarm 3). I'll seat the primers separate with a K&M seater.

More to come soon from my gunsmith.

Thanks to all for their replies!

Will

Edited by wmetzler01

Dropped the pistol off at the smith; his first words were "wow, that is really stuck". Not the worse he's seen though - but pretty bad.He'll know the cause once he gets into it; however, it appears the case head separated once the striker hit the primer. The brass, super high quality "perfecta" decided to go on strike and took my barrel with it.He's thinking the barrel is shot, but if that is the case I'll upgrade the barrel to a 5.4 infinity sight tracker and make a few more mods while I'm at it. The bull barrel really saved me from injury as he was showing me a Glock in 40 s&w that had a failed case. The damage was really bad as it looked like someone peeled the slide from the extraction port towards the front sights, the frame was split bad as well. The failure was caused by a new factory load from a major producer (think one with an eagle on the box). The company is buying him a new Glock.I should have did a better job selecting the brass as several on this forum stated they sort by headstamp, so in the end it is my fault.That said, I'll be making some changes to reloading methods for 40 S&W: 1). I've purchased new never fired winchester brass. 2). I've purchased a Dillion powder alarm 3). I'll seat the primers separate with a K&M seater.More to come soon from my gunsmith.Thanks to all for their replies!Will

None of what you bought except the brass maybe, will keep that from happening again. And, just me wondering, but how are you gonna fit a sight tracker barrel onto that gun?

post-18733-0-97586600-1424733106_thumb.j