Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Im having a 686 moonclip

JAB

So im having one of my 686 done for moonclips and the gunsmith ask for me to bring one of the clips ill be using in the gun .I'm thinking he wants to see the thickness of the clip. As of now I have not bought any clips for it so im asking you guys what clips should I buy ? its for a 686-3 6 shot I want to stay with clip that are easy for fined so I don't want some wired thickness or ones I cant get remember i'm in Canada so things can be hard to inport. Id also like to have the stock front sight replaced while its in there can anyone tell what would be a good fiber optic sight .

personally, Id find another gunsmith. Sounds like you have one that doesnt know what he is doing.
TK custom and others that actually specialize in this and make moonclips , you can send just your cylinder and have it back in notime.

I had a local smith do a 686 for me he asked for the same thing I used the .025" from TK and a hiviz front sight gave him the clip and sight and came back perfect he left rim around the edge so I could still use it without moons he just wants to make sure it works well that's all trust the process I also discovered I like the arm sight better so that's what I use now hiviz is nice but seem was a lot brighter

I had a local smith do a 686 for me he asked for the same thing I used the .025" from TK and a hiviz front sight gave him the clip and sight and came back perfect he left rim around the edge so I could still use it without moons he just wants to make sure it works well that's all trust the process I also discovered I like the sdm sight better so that's what I use now hiviz is nice but sdm was a lot brighter

Edited by Revofan

A gunsmith likes to know what your using to best match the work to the equipment for no issues later on. With 38/357 moon clips there a plethora of thickness options to best match a particular brass extractor groove dimensions. As there is no SAAMI standard for the extractor groove on 38/357 the ammunition manufacturers vary quite a bit between them and often between each companies lots for that matter. Technically the 38/357 does not have to be manufactured with a groove at all. So to better illustrate this If he cuts the recess for thicker clip allowances for say Rem or Federal brass and you use a thinner clip for Winchester your actually positioning the cartridge further away from the firing pin. If you have a pin stroke on the shorter end of the allowable tolerance or a deeper primer pocket you could very well end up with occasional failure to fires from light hits.