Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr.bullet feeder vs GSI?

Smeeg

The big negative on the GSI is if a switch between say Montana Gold JHP and Blue Bullet 147 RN, I have to buy a bunch of extra parts. With the Mr. Bulletfeeder it is just a couple of adjustments.

I use the same one for 115 JHP's and 147 RN bullets, never bought anything extra.

I just went by what GSI has on their website.

Ah, it may have something to do with their collator then, I only use their bullet feeders.

The big negative on the GSI is if a switch between say Montana Gold JHP and Blue Bullet 147 RN, I have to buy a bunch of extra parts. With the Mr. Bulletfeeder it is just a couple of adjustments.

I use the same one for 115 JHP's and 147 RN bullets, never bought anything extra.

I just went by what GSI has on their website.

Ah, it may have something to do with their collator then, I only use their bullet feeders.

That may be it, I like the tool head, but I never really used the powder drop alarm I bought. I just eyeball the charge I have never had a problem.

I have the GSI and have tool heads set up for 9, 40, and 45 on my XL 650. I had some issues when I first started using it but for the past two years my set ups have been working fine. Smooth handle movement is the key to making this work. I have the old design where the collator is mounted to the tool head so the press has to be mounted very solid because vibration will knock the bullets out of the collator ring. If you are going to change bullet weights or profiles you will most likely need to replace the collator ring so it will work properly.

Their tech support is great even though sometimes I have to wait a day for a return call.

I haven't tried one on my 1050 because it is fast as hell without a bullet feeder. If I started over again I would skip the 650 with bullet feeder and just buy a 1050.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't tried one on my 1050 because it is fast as hell without a bullet feeder. If I started over again I would skip the 650 with bullet feeder and just buy a 1050.

I agree, while I love my 650 and MBF, I'm processing 223 brass now and wish I would have just bought a 1050 from the beginning. One day I'll be able to upgrade!

For those that are on the fence about the MBF, I can confirm that with a little bit of adjustments and tweaking, the MBF works for long 308 bullets as well (I'm loading 300blk). Big advantage over the GSI IMO.

Edited by polizei1

I have never owned a GSI, but I did give a friend a hand installing one on his Super 1050. While I do agree that it is an impressive piece of engineering, it is more complicated than it needs to be. He had nothing but problems getting it to run smoothly. In the end, he returned it and purchased a Mr Bulletfeeder. I have had a Mr. Bulletfeeder on my Hornady LNL for a few years now. I only load 9mm, but I use several different bullets (90 Frangibles, 115 JHPs from MG and Zero, 124 CMJ and Bayous, 135 Bayous, 160 Bayous, etc). Once I got the collator and drop tube set up, I haven't had to change a single setting when switching between bullets. It just runs and runs and runs. Granted, I had to make a custom bracket to mount the unit to some cabinets over my bench as I do not have a case feeder, but I went from loading about 400 rounds/hour feeding cases and bullets manually to about 800 rounds/hour just hand feeding cases. At this point I don't see how a case feeder would make things go any faster, as I just grab a handful of cases at a time and never have to let go of the press handle. This also allows me to guide the case into the sizing die with my index finger (I use a U-Die and a case would occasionally hang up on the edge of the die and get crushed).

The collator design on the Mr. Bulletfeeder is simple because it WORKS. You can put 10 bullets or 500 bullets in there and it will run perfectly. The adjustments are simple and obvious. Watch it run for a minute and you will understand how to adjust it without even looking at the directions.