Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 650XL waiting...

Got in today from the road and my new 650 in 45 ACP was here. Along with 308 parts and 223 conv kit.

Going to set it up in the morning.

Any tips, hints or tricks?

Longtime single stage loader.... figured it was time to step up.

Thanks,

Mel

Thanks!

I thought I'd start out loading a few 45's then try my hand at some 308's.

All my 45 brass is ready and primed.

The 308 is clean and shiney but need to be sized and deprimed.... I'm not sure if will need trimming yet as most measure about 2.005 now. Not sure how much stretch I'm going to get out of them. I may do a few on my single stag to see. I don't remember how much stretch I had the last time I reloaded 308.... It depends on the brass.

Take it real slow, I found I created a mess when I first started working with mine. Good you have a few cases primed. Start with those. Keeps powder in case to start with. Later just deprime and prime to get used to the force required. Watch powder before adding bullet. Slow is good. You are still way faster than the ss press. Enjoy

Well I seem to have a few issues...

The case feed tube bracket/arm is deformed on the end that attached to the case feed tube.

Also, it was my understanding that the powder check system was included. All I got was the alarm box????

My bad... I see thats the primer early warning system.....

I see I'm going to need to order the powder check system..... or watch it real close!!!!!

Edited by mele

Yeah but I'd hate to double charge a 45 with Titegroup!!!!

I've already spit out about a hundred rounds.

Had a few hickups mounting the 650 on my bench (to high for cabinets, had to move it over about a foot).

Forgot to install bullet chute when I mounted it (missed that step in the instructions somehow).

Then I could not get any powder to come out (did not have the failsafe rod adjusted right).

But we're cooking with Crisco Now!!!!

Edited by mele

I've been using a single stage Rockchucker for years. Doing a few hundre rounds a week end.

I was leary about getting a progressive press because I thought it may be a bit to complicated for me.

I went ahead and took the blue pill and could not be happier with my new 650.

I just got it mounted yesterday. Set it up and ran through a 1000 45 acp before I new it. And that was with having to stop and fill the case tupe up every 20 or so!

I got a 223 conversion kist but now I want to wait and get a QC kit so I dont have to change out my dies.

I bought 6 powder checks, one for each caliber. I guess I'm just a safety nut and know it's watching in case I miss one

Why did you get 6 powder checks? The alarm comes off with just one screw, and if you set up the die correctly, you can keep the drop checker the same length.

I have almost every 650 upgrade imaginable and the one absolute thing I will NEVER replace is the cartridge powder check alarm. I still visually glance but when I get on a roll of 700-800 per hour the alarm serves as an excellent backup. Gues I will never get an auto bullet feeder.