Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Of 40 S&W 1911's and mag releases

BigDave

The mag catch that come with my STI Trojan is too short for me and I'm looking for an extended one. I know that STI makes their catches a bit higher than others, but I'm wondering if there are other options that work? Right now the gun runs flawless with Wilson 47D's. I have a 10 rd Cobra/Tripp that is about 90%. I'm getting ready to order some 10 round mags from Tripp so I can start to play in Limited-10 again and didn't want to order the STI specific mags if another combo is better.

It isn't as if a new catch is going to break the bank, but I'm just curious if I should stay with STI here?

Big Dave,

I could be wrong, but I thought that the mag catches were the same, but the hole for it was drilled higher for an STI. I put a Wilson extended in my Trojan and put the STI mag release from my Trojan into my Kimber. Both guns ran fine. Just something to chew on I guess. I dislike Wilson, but that mag catch is awesome.

Big Dave,

I could be wrong, but I thought that the mag catches were the same, but the hole for it was drilled higher for an STI. I put a Wilson extended in my Trojan and put the STI mag release from my Trojan into my Kimber. Both guns ran fine. Just something to chew on I guess. I dislike Wilson, but that mag catch is awesome.

BD,

I've got the Wilson extended mag catch on my Colt 1991A1 .45 as well --- and really like it. That gun is fed from Wilson mags exclusively....

BigDave ... if your gun is running well as it is, you probably want to stay with the STI, but get the one that is tapped for a screw and button.

As you know, the STI mag catches themselves are "elevated" and hold the mags higher than standard mag catches. That's why I have them in three of my guns, because the standard parts would not hold the mags high enough. I have no way of knowing if the hole for the part is different for Trojans, but I guarantee the little ledge where the mag tube rests is higher than a standard 1911 part.

If you do switch to a different brand, remember that your Tripp mag was intended for that elevated mag catch.

MG23 - I was actually speaking to KimberKid, but a trip to Texas doesn't sound bad. If I'm in town, I'll let you know.

Buttons? Awww hell no!!! I don't run one on my SV and I won't on this SS either. I just need it extended.

Well, I think I'll just have to pony up for a $20 release and give it a shot. If it works, great. If not, I can always sell the thing.

Big Dave,

I'll gladly come down there, if you can procure a range to shoot at. I have 7 of the STI Specific Tripp mags if you wanna give them a run and see how they work. It would be a 2 minute job to pull out my Wilson mag release and let you try it for a bit. I'm free this weekend if you wanna shoot, if your nice I might even show you the sub second Glock reload that I've been working on.

Buttons?  Awww hell no!!!  I don't run one on my SV and I won't on this SS either.  I just need it extended.

Have that same buddy that drilled and tapped your mag release for you stick the button on a lathe and turn it down to the same OD as the release.

How about a drop of super glue and a pencil eraser?

Funny, I was working it out in my mind about adhereing some two-part epoxy putty to the button. Grand dad used to modify every damn thing with that red and green stuff.