Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP loads for Blue Bullets 230 gr RNFP

ArrDave

Good morning shooting world.

I'm starting to develop a load for some RNFP bullets from The Blue Bullets and was curious if anyone has tuned one? I'll be loading with 231. Looking at the Hodgdon Reloading website, they have an 230 RNFP load for an FMJ w/ 4.2 grains at a COL of 1.200" pushing 751 velocity. My gun will feed 1.2 JHPs, so I suspect a 1.2 RNFP would be no issue cycling, but that velocity I would expect would be higher with a coated lead bullet vs. jacketed. I can see going with a longer OAL and the same charge (or slightly less) or potentially just reducing the charge and keeping the 1.200.

I figured I'd start and see if anyone has spent any time with this particular projectile and use that as a starting point.

The gun is a Dan Wesson Valor if that makes any difference. I want to load to 170-172 PF.

3.7 - 3.9 clays at1.250

Has made major between 172- 178 pf at every major / chrono I've been to

Dan Wesson. Hertitage and several other 5" 1911's

Thanks for the reply. Didn't know if the FP would play nicely with the barrel or not, but it's not far off from a RN profile, if I'm honest.

231 was my least favorite powder in .45. Bullseye is by far my favorite powder in .45 followed by WST, Clays, Titegroup, then 231. To me the 231 had the most recoil out of all.

4.4 of Bullseye under a SNS Cast 230 grain (with no lube ring) at 1.265 gives me 171 PF out of a Trojan and 174 out of a Sig 1911. Best load I've found so far.

231 was my least favorite powder in .45. Bullseye is by far my favorite powder in .45 followed by WST, Clays, Titegroup, then 231. To me the 231 had the most recoil out of all.

4.4 of Bullseye under a SNS Cast 230 grain (with no lube ring) at 1.265 gives me 171 PF out of a Trojan and 174 out of a Sig 1911. Best load I've found so far.

Interesting, I prefer it to TG but fairly new to the reloading game and there's like zero pistol powders out there. I can find Titegroup locally and happened upon 231 by luck. I'll have to give Bullseye a try if I can find it.

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I have had with 231 is it is dirty at lower power loads. I load an a plated 230 RN to 1.260" and it takes 5.1gr. for major at 169 PF from my Sig 5" 1911. From what I have seen it usually take 0.2 to 0.3 gr. less to make the same PF with a coated bullet. If you load to the shorter COAL I would think no more than 4.5gr would be needed. As always start low and work up, good luck!!

The only issue I have had with 231 is it is dirty at lower power loads. I load an a plated 230 RN to 1.260" and it takes 5.1gr. for major at 169 PF from my Sig 5" 1911. From what I have seen it usually take 0.2 to 0.3 gr. less to make the same PF with a coated bullet. If you load to the shorter COAL I would think no more than 4.5gr would be needed. As always start low and work up, good luck!!

Thanks for sharing your findings. I am pretty pleased with 4.9 grain 231 at 1.25. Sadly it is a lot dirtier at 4.9 grain. At 5.3 it is pretty clean, but that is overkill for coated lead

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some chrono'd with 4.5 gr 231 at 1.25 OAL at about 158 PF. Bumping the load to 5.0 grains.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

• 4 weeks later...

I havent tried W 231 but I've loaded thousands of the Blue Bullets 230gr RN with either IMR PB or IMR SR 4756. Excellent combination with both powders. But If I heard correctly, both of these powders are discontinued by Hodgdon.... figures.

Has anyone here used WST or WSF? What loads worked the best to make major using these bullets. I just ordered the 250 pack to try them out. I have always used plated in the past but wanted to see if these were any better.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Chrono'd at a match - 5.0 grains 231 with CCI LPP and 1.25 +/- .01 OAL due to brass at 812 FPS and 816 FPS - Approx 180 PF. Ambient temperature was approx 75 degrees, very high humidity

I chrono'd 4.6 grains of 231 with Federal LPP and it did not make power factor at the same COAL at approx 65 degree temp. I trust the chrono at the match better. I think the chrono at 4.6 grains was not quite on.

Either way, I'll probably be reducing to 4.8 grains of 231.

Great projectiles, very low smoke ( I don't notice any).