Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Prezidente

George

Setup: 3 IPSC targets @ 10 yards, 3’ apart, 5’H at shoulder.

Start Position: Facing targets, port arms, buttstock touching belt, or belly (whichever comes first)

Procedure: two on each, reload, two more on each

Notes: Scoring = Virginia Count, .223 = minor

Let’s see what y’all got going here.

--

Regards,

Garret - like George set this up.

I wish I could do it at those times at 50!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few goes at this today with my 308 L1A1 (FAL). The reload killed me, couldn't get a run under 7 with 3+ second reloads. Its just such a dog to get that mag tilted perfectly in that skinny mag well.

Wondering if anyone using a FAL has found a way of improving the reload?

Thanks P.D.

• 1 month later...

Back to the top for this puppy! ;-)

Got a chance to run this drill live again today. Seem to be stuck at right about five for the moment. I had one bright spot in that on all four runs, my reload was pretty much 1.8 (1.78 to 1.85). Last time I ran this live my reloads had been hovering around 2 and they were also a bit more variable.

I have been working it dryfire, but paying more attention to a smooth re-load than consistent sight alignment and it showed. I didn't have a single clean run (all A's). I also threw out the fifth (and last) run I took which featured a bobbled re-load, a trigger (finger) freeze after the crappy reload and a mike to boot (trying too hard by then).

Here are the numbers:

5.31 down 2 = 10.923 HF

5.17 down 4 = 10.832 HF

5.01 down 8 = 10.379 HF

5.11 down 4 = 10.959 HF

I was getting the first shot off pretty consistently at .89 to .95 which seems to have room for improvement. The splits were usually .21 to .23 and the transitions were .28 to .31ish. I think that for the moment I will not try to push these at the expense of points, especially considering I am already dropping too many by dropping any at all ;-)

--

Regards,

Phil,

I have a FAL and in reloading practice I keep the mag really tilted back and as soon as I feel it hit the port I immediately rip it vertical and 9 out of 10 times it slams home - average time is about 2 - 2.5, keeping the gun in the shoulder.

If your gun is an L1A1 you have a much larger lump of metal on the front of the mag to engage in the receivcer as compared to the tiny lip on the fal, and I would imagine that would slow you down some. :(

• 1 month later...

I took time off work today to actually practice, a rare thing these days. When I got there I decided to try out the El Prez at 10yds/3' apart and 5' at shoulder on the target. I just got my new JP uppers (don't laugh Kelly, you went to a Benelli so I can go to JP's from Bushmaster's!) and have not gotten used to the recoil impulse and thought this would be a good exercise for that.

At first I ran in the low 6 second range for the first couple or rounds. I flipped up the larger aperture and went into the 5's. I did not count any run that was not all A's in hope of forcing myself to 'practice' not just run for speed. I ran several in the high 4's/low 5's then ran one perfect one at 4.31 seconds. I stopped..LOL!

I then moved back to 50 yards, 'Magnum El Prez', and ran the first couple in the 11's. I stayed there for a while. I had never monkeyed with the gas system on the JP upper with the new lightened stainless carrier so I did. Got it adjusted and ran in the 10's and my best run was 9 seconds flat with 2 in the C zone.

John Paul..........thanks!!!!!!!!!

Guy Hawkins