Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Release search

galt11

Good evening all,

I hope I can gain some wisdom from the group's experience. I am looking to replace the factory mag releases on two different 9mm Gen4 Glocks, a 34 and a 17. I already tried installing a Gen4 34 mag release in the 17 and I am looking for a bit more of the button to protrude away from the frame. I also tried the Ghost release for a Gen4 and it was too big.

Can anyone recommend a happy middle of the road between the two? Please remember I am looking for two different guns as I am not sure there is a solution for both. Thanks for your help.

Adam

Unlike the Gen 3s, the 34/35 Gen 4s don't come with extended mag releases (at least I haven't seen any come with them from the factory). So your 17 and 34 likely have the same mag release in them right now. The non-extended part # is 7534 and the extended one is 8794; the # is stamped right on the mag release.

I put in the OEM extended releases in my 34 and 35 Gen 4s and like them. They're not much bigger than the stock part, but help a bit.

And the Vickers mag release is another good option as mentioned above.

Why not just switch the mag release to the other side??... I have small hands and a plus is that you won't ever hear an R.O. call "trigger" during a reload in competition. This is the main reason I bought gen 4's..... I also have a SV 2011 open pistol that I use with the Mitchell right side mag release for the same reason (small hands).. You would be surprised how many shooter's are at the imaginary 180 degree mark or worse during a magazine change....

What division are you using the gun in? That would limit you to factory releases. Are you having problems depressing the button or do you just not want to break your grip to reload?

If you aren't worried about division rules try the Zev Gen 4 release. It's actually angled and serrated which makes it incredibly easy to hit.

http://zevtechnologies.com/search/index.ssp#/Mag-Releases

Thanks all. I am currently using the Glock extended one, 8794, in my 17. As I mentioned, its ok, but I would like to find something just a bit longer so I don't have to move my hand. I would also like to get one for my 34 and as the person at Glock told me the 8794 is the standard one for the 34 I am looking for one a bit longer. I would like to use both guns in Production class otherwise I would use the Ghost one. I realize this means going back to the factory available ones. I wasn't sure if anyone tried other parts from say a 41 in the 34 or 17? I ordered one of the Vickers ones to try and will see how that goes.

Adam

Edited by galt11

I don't think you can use and extended mag release on a Gen 4 it has yet to be a factory part. Gen 3 is okay but last time I looked Glock still does not have that option on Gen 4 Models. Making it an authorized part bumping you to OPEN.

Last year I emailed DNROI and got approval to use the OEM extended mag release in a Gen 4 (part # 8794).

If you're doing all this to not have to break your grip I'd say practice mag changes. I'd bet 95% of shooters break their grip to some degree and you'd never be able to tell. It's just not the most time consuming part of a reload to really worry about it.