Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee factory crimp die setup

krazykj03

Hi i was wondering if someone can help me out with how to setup the lee factory crimp die on my dillon 650. im new to reloading i am loading 40 s&w major in the press. Im trying to figure out how to set the crimp up, i put the finished bullet in and then turn the die till it touches it but it goes all the way down and i dont feel any resistance. am i doing something wrong? and this happened with a factory bullet.

You're getting rid of the bell from the powder drop step.

Finished diameter of round= bullet diameter+twice the thickness of case.

Since I use mixed brass, I'll get any where from .419 to .422 diameter.

I think you screw the whole die body down until it touches. Then you use the fine adjust knob on top to adjust crimp.

Completely correct, but. I would add for clarity, " screw the whole body down until it just touches the empty shell plate ". Then with a test round in the crimp station screw down the adjust knob until you feel it touch the round, then 1//4 turn more down

Then fine tune the adjust knob to get the desired diameter at the very top ( bullet end) of the case. The exact desired diameter in my opinion is between the bullet diameter plus two times the case wall thickness down to 0.003 less than that.

Edited by Brooke

thank you all. i was wondering when installing the dies to the tool head, someone told me you screw the resizing die down till its touches the shell plate and back off about 1/8th turn. and for the seating i have the redding competition seat die, do i do that also till it touches the shell plate and back off the seating stem all the way up and then fine tune the seating stem?

Im am visually/hands on leaner. been looking for videos but everyone is all different. there should be a library of just reloading all calibers on all machines. that would be nice so for people like me i can just watch each one. thanks for all your help in advance.

I don't know how the redding seating die is set up, but some dies like the Lees are set up to crimp also. With these, you need to lower the die until it touches the case of a loaded round, then back off if you do not want to crimp the case, or fine tune if you do.

Edited by b1gcountry

Before adjusting the die, take a Sharpie and make a line on top of the fine adjustment knob - from center, to the perifery. You will be amazed how much more convenient it then becomes. It becomes easy to return to the previous position, or back off 1/2, etc.