Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off-Hand Mag Release?

Joe

Bad Idea?

My hand are small.  This is working for me though I don't have a time on it yet.

I'm also thinking, I know that is sometimes dangerous, that maintaining the same grip seems more important than the few tenths extra it takes.  It should balance itself out.  If I have to take the same amount of time re-arranging my grip why not just push the button and reach for the mag.

Thoughts?

Joe

Quote: from grassy knoll on 5:37 pm on Jan. 10, 2002

Buy an extended mag release

I have one of the longer ones, not the 'button' type.  Even w/the button I would still need to twist the gun in my hand to reach it.

Joe

Joe,

Rather than a round "button" try an oblong "paddle".  There are a number of manufacturers that make them.  Or, you can have a gunsmith custom make one to fit you perfectly.  I have very small hands yet am able to hit the release on my STI's w/o shifting the hands.

I used to use the left-hand technique, but it costs you time too.  With the paddle there is no time lost re-shifting.  Nor is there time lost getting the weak hand from the grip to the new magazine.

Another option you could try is an ambi mag release.  I always thought about trying one, but never got around to it.  You can use your trigger finger to activate just like most lefties do.

What kind of frame are you using...if its a single stack, try an S&A ambi mag release and use your index finger...If its an STI/SVI I think SV is making a left hand grip which places the mag release on the right side of the frame and again you can use your index finger...I think Lisa Munson told me she was trying this.

Pat

The Great One shifts the gun to reload as well, and he's not too shabby. The time it takes to preserve your weak hand on the grip to release the mag (with your thumb) is greater than the time it takes to recover from shifting, or "flipping" the gun in your hand (to hit the button with your strong thumb). So, I'd say - dedicate the time to master that maneuver. Or, check out the ambi-mag release or the left-hand SVI grip (so you can use your index finger). A good friend (girl, with very strong hands) uses the left-hand grip and loves it.

be

Hey BE - TGO has BIG hands!  He can CONTROL the gun when he flips it... I've invested alot of time into trying that and finally realized that I can do it, but it ain't safe because the gun is too heavy for me to control.  It seriously WOBBLES all over the place and likes to nose dive - oops.

I use my weak hand thumb to hit the button on the way out of my grip - on the way to the mag.  I realize that this isn't the fastest, but getting DQ'ed isn't the best way either!

• 1 month later...

My solution for a few years was to use a fairly light spring in the mag release and hit the mag button with my left thumb as my hand was coming off the gun.  I practiced the movement a lot so that it was a fluid motion where my left hand sort  of slid off the gun and hit the mag button on the way to picking up the new magazine.  This method was very reliable for me and my hands are small enough that I didn't crush the mag release when I didn't intend to.  I could reliably do a 1.5 sec mag change with A hits at 7 yards with this technique, and for quite a while I was satisfied with that.

But, eventually, I got to a point where I couldn't go any faster on the mag change using that technique and decided that I had finally progressed to a skill level where I _think_ I'm capable of going just a little faster.  So, I spent the latter part of last year trying the shifting grip, and I'm with Shooter Grrl....  My hands are too small to be 100% reliable with that shift, even after dremeling a channel for my right thumb in the plastic grips.   The danger factor value is higher than the tenth or two that I'm saving.

This year's project is now to try the left-hand mag release with my right index finger.

-Penny

Thanks for all of the replies.  I've been practicing twisting and I almost have the hang of it.  By almost I mean that we fired 'Speed-E-Standards' at the last match and under stress the last mag change when you shift to weak hand I did both my weak hand thumb and the strong thumb twist simultaniously.  Still did decent enough for me, no misses and nothing under a 'C' at an ice-age slow 16+ seconds.  Don't laugh too hard, remember I'm still a BEginner.

:D

Thanks again,

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a S&A ambi mag release for a Para.  My primary reason for getting an ambi mag release is because my left hand keeps bumping into the mag release during recoil and dropping the mag.  I was using a standard size button and should have gone to a heavier spring.  But I'm use to shooting HK's which I always use my index finger to release the mag.

I do like the ambi button on the S&A, but there are some problems I've encountered.  The biggest one is the fact that you don't have to push as hard or as far to release the mag from the left side.  This resulted in more unwanted mag drops.  I would highly suggest grinding the left side flush.  There also might be some fitting issues to deal with, my would barely catch the mag before I started filing away at the mag release.  You will also have to get out the dremel and cut a small notch in the frame for the release to work properly.

• 1 year later...

Even though I amnew to shooting I found that my hands are big enough and that I have the hand strength to just barely flip the muzzel to get to the release. Could just be that, that is the way I have always done it no matter what gun I am shooting. But then again I do have really strong hands and they are quite large. Just my piping in. :)

Happy Shooting

:D :D :D :D

Paul

• 1 year later...
Bad Idea?

My hand are small.  This is working for me though I don't have a time on it yet.

I'm also thinking, I know that is sometimes dangerous, that maintaining the same grip seems more important than the few tenths extra it takes.  It should balance itself out.  If I have to take the same amount of time re-arranging my grip why not just push the button and reach for the mag.

Thoughts?

Joe

weak hand drop is fine if you hit the slide release as you put the new mag in. Takes practice or you'll be sending the slide forward w/o a round