Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock stiker not resetting

mark97se

OK, looking for some help here. Noticed recently that my G34 striker is failing to reset/uncocking when racked. If empty or loaded and I rack the slide very quickly, the striker sometimes does not catch, and as a result, the trigger is dead. Can't make it happen when the trigger has been pulled, so unloaded starts are not a problem...it only happens when practicing empty or when racking for a malfunction, etc when the striker is properly cocked and ready to go. So the striker is cocked and ready...then I rack quickly and fully to the rear...now the striker is not cocked.

Sear/striker engagement looks to be about 1/2.

I tried switching out connectors and trigger return springs from another pistol...no changes.

Any ideas?

My bad posted before completely reading your post... have you detailed stripped the slide? Cleaned the striker channel and plunger?

What he said... Believe it or not, you can fix a lot of mechanical malfunctions like this with a full cleaning. Also, depending on amount of use, maybe some new springs?

But definitely do a full disassembly and total clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has all been cleaned. Just looking at it further...looks like there is some inconsistency in the vertical position of the trigger bar.

Should it be pulled up against the top of the slot in the trigger housing?

I took the connector out to see where the trigger bar/trigger return spring positions the bar vertically in the trigger housing slot. Looks like it just wants to float in the middle or towards the bottom of the slot, which looks to be giving the striker room to pass over the top of the trigger bar.

Sounds like a connector problem. Is the factory connector installed?

When the striker has been released, the rear of the trigger bar (crucifix) should be held DOWN by the connector. When the slide is racked, the tab on the connector rides the ramp on the bottom of the slide and forces the connector towards the center of the gun which releases the trigger bar (reset) and allows the rear of the trigger bar to engage the striker.

Edited by tonyxcom

Are you sure the trigger spring is positioned correctly on the trigger bar hook? The loop should be vertical. I've seen lots of weird things happen with the loop at the end of the spring is horizontal and usually it's enough to cause binding where the trigger bar doesn't snap up when reset.

I tried another striker with the same result. I am going to have to get a new trigger return spring and after that try a new trigger bar. Only have about 4 days before I leave for the 3GN pro qualifier...I'm about to give up on these Glocks and spend some $ that I don't have.

The trigger bar doesn't seem to be held "down" by the connector. It seems to be "floating" a bit. If I pull up on the trigger bar until it touches the connector, it stays there...but if I push down on the trigger bar, it doesn't touch the connector...if I let go, it stays there (not touching the connector). Shouldn't the trigger return spring keep it in contact with the connector?

Glocks are not known for failures (they're not) unless user enhacements are involed. I know full well having "improved" the reliability out of many of my own. No chance I shoot that 34 in a match. Somehow yours is unbalanced, and there are hundreds of ways to accomplish that. I would shelve it until time allows me to figure it out. Contact your buds and holster up a spare.

One of the dumber thing I have done to my G17 was accidentally installing a lightened G35 striker in it. Obviously the engagement surfaces did not communicate :)

In other words the primary malfunction resulted in no cocking (most of the time). Reinstalling OEM parts solved all problems without a single exception. The things work all the time.

Until that is, we work on them...FWIW

If you take your slide off, the trigger should be released and the end of the trigger bar should be under the fold of the connector.

If you push the connector tab (with your finger) the end of the trigger bar should pop up. Does it?

If you take your slide off, the trigger should be released and the end of the trigger bar should be under the fold of the connector.

If you push the connector tab (with your finger) the end of the trigger bar should pop up. Does it?

Yes, it does pop up...

But...

This problem never occurs when the trigger is pulled. It ONLY happens when the trigger is forward/cocked/reset...as if clearing a malfunction. When the trigger is in this forward position, the trigger bar seems to have a bit of play in it(up and down). Even though the trigger return spring should be stretched tighter, it is now at a shallower angle and doesn't seem to be pulling upward with as much force.

If the trigger is forward and you have downward movement at the rear of the trigger bar you are not on the drop safety shelf. Try returning the gun to an all stock condition and see if your problem goes away. Then start adding back your mods one at a time. Do you have a stock trigger return spring? The extra power return springs are notorious for screwing up triggers. Stay stock as much as possible. I'm running a DKinsler trigger bar, stock trigger return spring, glock - connector, 4.5 striker spring, 13 lb recoil spring. This set up results in 2.5 lb trigger that is safe and reliable. Pretty much tried all the set ups out there, some were good, some terrible, some not safe. Try to stay stock as much as possible. The glock platform has proven itself to be reliable. It's only when we start trying to "improve" it is when we get into trouble.

did you try a different trigger/bar? had a similar issue with my g34 and it was the combination of the trigger bar and connector, can you make it fail by turning the gun upside down or pushing down on the silde near the rear sight? is the connector stock glock?

Rooster, thanks for your comments...I think we are getting to the heart of the matter now.

From what I can see by comparing my 3 gun frame/trigger to my production frame/trigger, if the trigger safety is cut down much at all to reduce pretravel, then the trigger bar will be off the drop shelf. Virtually every limited Glock out there should be having this problem. Last time I checked, the DK trigger has a cut down trigger safety...how does yours deal with this issue?

Or does this problem maybe only manifest if the trigger return spring gets a bit weak?