Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nordic 18" barreled rifle will not extract

CMonty

Ive been having issues with a 3 gun rifle that I assembled and wanted to get some opinions on some possible trouble shooting.

Rifle Specs:

Aero Precision Upper and Lower

Nordic 18" wylde chamber barrel

Seekins ATC Comp

Odin Works gas block w/ melonited rifle length gas tube

VDI Low Mass BCG

Raptor CH

Hyperfire 24C Trigger (heavy springs installed)

Rifle length buffer tube/spring/buffer (weights removed to 3.3oz)

Rifle will fire but will not extract nor eject spent cartridge. I am able to extract using the charging handle however the force required to do it is significantly greater than my other AR15s. I had thought it was a gas problem and replaced the previous Carbon Arms gas block with the odin works, no change. After inspecting the brass there is evidence of ejector swipe. I am starting to think of the possibility of the chamber being too tight. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Charles

post-39178-0-56069500-1422735605_thumb.j

post-39178-0-29215600-1422735614_thumb.j

I know the Nordic 18" have an undersized gas port to run with a low mass carrier system. Have you tried other ammo?

I would get another batch of ammo - factory match, maybe a box of federal and a box of Black Hills and try to rule out the ammo first because your set up looks good on paper.

Have you had the same problem with other ammo?

Also, you mention changing the gas block, but nothing about confirming that it is properly aligned and allowing enough gas to get to the bcg to cycle the action.

at the range next time attempt to gently chamber a round of loaded ammo in a clean chamber and attempt to extract that loaded round of ammo. Both should be easy to do. If you cant chamber factory ammo of several MFGs this way, your chamber is too tight. We need some pics, of the extractor marks on the brass, is the extractor riding over the brass and leaving the brass in the chamber? If so, again I suspect that the chamber is too tight.

I have the same barrel. It runs fine, but extraction is very difficult. Sent it back to Nordic, they ran a reamer in it and said it was within spec. Swapped out bolts. I went through a few I had here and used the one with the most amount of headspace. Still having issues with ammo that chambers and extracts perfectly in a Colt Competion Rifle that has a very tight chamber and bore. I hope we can figure this out, mortoring out rounds at ULASC is not fun. I have been tempted to run a 5.56 reamer in the barrel.

Like already mensioned, try some other ammo and just use a bolt to insert and remove it by hand. If the case is tight in the chamer, try to apply some lapping compound on a cotton bore mop and polish the chamer so the bullet will be in a smooth and deburred surface. Something like this from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/bore-mops/ar-15-replacement-bore-mops-prod42146.aspx

Put the mop in a drill and do that for a few seconds. While your at it, pollish your feed ramps and see if that helps. it might just be a tight camber and if removing the tooling marks and burs, it might help.

I would suggest that after checking everything and if you cant get it worked out, just send the barrel back. I would not polish the chamber as there are not marks on the cases. If I owned a company that's known for standing behind their products and you did something like polish the chamber, I'm not sure I would be able to do much for you. You also run the risk of creating an oblong chamber. Alternatively if your stuck and they will not take the barrel back, ream out the chamber with a known quality finish reamer a gunsmith should be able to do this for next to nothing after checking with gauges.

UPDATE

Went to the range today with a fully functioning AR15 and begin to swap parts. I tried every combination of BCG, Bolt, Upper, Lower possible and discovered that the Nordic Barrel was NOT at fault. I back this up by going to Rose Action Sports and re tested everything. Together Steve Rose and I discovered that some how, some way the VDI Low Mass Bolt Carrier is out of spec. Rifle functioned perfectly with a full mass spikes BCG, even with the VDI bolt in the Spikes BCG. No combination that included the VDI Low mass carrier worked. We removed the gas key and there were no obstructions and it was properly staked down. The exact reason will be a mystery but atleast I discovered the problem.

• 3 weeks later...