Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

930 9+1 not chambering first round

Storz

So I have a 930 with a Nordic extension, before I took it apart and cleaned it she held 9+1 no problem and loaded just fine, now if I put 9 in the mag tube it wont chamber the first round. 8 it chambers the first one just fine, but with 9 in there it doesn't grab it for some reason. The only thing I can think is that the mag spring is binding up...

Thoughts?

Mine started to do this after a short time when I first got the shotgun. There is a video on Brownell's that shows how to polish the shell latch. Once I did this, I never had problems with it again. From what I understand, it is a common problem with the 930 with an easy fix.

I don't know of a way to tell for sure. I would just order two new nordic springs (one as a backup) and trim one to 12" past the end of the tube and try it. Then you know what you have and know it's brand new.

Have you made sure there isn't a bunch of crud behind your shell stop assembly?

I don't know of a way to tell for sure. I would just order two new nordic springs (one as a backup) and trim one to 12" past the end of the tube and try it. Then you know what you have and know it's brand new.

Have you made sure there isn't a bunch of crud behind your shell stop assembly?

Nope. Haven't even shot it yet, only had it about two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The factory spring has the ends of the spring formed into loops that don't leave the wire just sticking into the air, unlike the Nordic spring, where the wire end is same distance from next coil as rest of spring.

Hard to describe, but the end of the factory spring is flat, not having a piece of wire just sticking out into space, ready to snag anything it can!

Above advice makes sense, as any mag spring is going to wear out so its good to have spares, and start with a known good item.

I used sand paper to get the radius I wanted and then used rubbing compound for cars on a wool disc on my dremel. Every couple thousand rounds or so I will have to go in there and polish it again because I sense it is starting to act up.

Storz, what kind of cap goes on the end of the mag tube? I would measure the amount that extends beyond the end of the threads, once on the mag tube. I would cut the mag spring to 12 or 14" beyond end of tube, adding the length of cap to the measurement. Also bend the ends of the spring in just a bit so they cannot get caught on anything inside the mag tube. By shortening the spring you are creating more room for shells plus decreasing the pressure on the shell stop when fully loaded, so hopefully it will release the shell. Definitely do the mods with polishing on the stop as shown in the Brownell's article. Keep us posted.

Article on shell stop mod:http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=15831/GunTechdetail/Fixing-A-Mossberg-930-Feed-From-The-Tube-Problem

Edited by mpom

What you need to do is buy a few new springs. Brownels has the best that I found. After you trim the spring to 12 inches try to see if it will load the first round. If not clip off a coil. Try it again. Once you are successful then make sure it will release the last round as well. If along the way you mess up and cut too much off then start over using a new spring. Springs are cheap so make sure you have several to start with. I had the same problem with my JM and did this method till I got it right. Now I know just what length works for my gun. I run a +9 Nordic tube on mine so I can't help you with a length that will work for you. Oh, I did polish the shell stop on mine as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just got back from the range, didn't change a thing and it shot 100 rounds of mixed ammo no problems at all, it stripped the first round of the chamber each and every time as well. I am still going to fluff and buff and put in a new spring, but good to know it works for now

Another tip on mag springs is don't leave the end of the spring essentially un-finished. By that I mean if it was not done by the manufacturer or you cut the spring, take a pair of pliers and bend the very end (about 1/4") back in on itself so that you do not have the sharp end of the spring wire sticking out to snag on the back edge of your follower or on the transition between your mag tube and extension. This will also kind of reduce the diameter of the spring coil a little on the end so that it fits into the back of the follower better. And if the spring ever gets away from you it will be less likely to snag or poke through skin or eyes etc.

Jeff

Ok so I think its an ammo issue, when I went to the range today I only took a few rounds of my HD ammo. Federal Tactical "Flight Control", the end that rests against the shell stop isn't as smooth as some of the other ammo I used. For now I am just going to download it a round until the spring comes in, hopefully that fixes it.

Polished!

4a703dbc415f689e76d62e2bdb9809d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also see a rather pronounced 'MIM mark' on the end that shell stop that is probably contributing to the problem. That 'seam' is a leftover from the MIM process of molding the part before the heat process. Carefully stoning that flush where it contacts the shell will also help as it is likely grabbing the soft aluminum lip of each shell.

Ok so I think its an ammo issue, when I went to the range today I only took a few rounds of my HD ammo. Federal Tactical "Flight Control", the end that rests against the shell stop isn't as smooth as some of the other ammo I used. For now I am just going to download it a round until the spring comes in, hopefully that fixes it.

I duck hunt with a 935 which has the same shell stop assembly. Federal shells give me more problems than other manufacturers. Like you said I think it is less polished.