Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have My Shadow, Now What? Lots of Questions

Smitty79

I received my new Shadow (91030) last Thursday. I shot Saturday's match with my 85B as I hadn't shot the Shadow and wanted to go with a known quantity.

Shot the Shadow 75 rounds on Sunday. Last 18 round mags had 17 in a 2 in circle. I knew the bad one was bad when I missed. This is my new gun!

1. I have a box of parts I had set aside for the 85. I'm trying to get the right list for the Shadow.

The firing pin is different. Seems like I should keep one of these:

http://czcustom.com/SP01Shadowextendedfiringpin.aspx

Are the recoil, Firing Pin, Trigger Return and Main spring all the same as a 75/85? Looking at the CZC web site, it looks like they are.

How about the extractor and spring? Again, it looks the same.

I think that covers the parts in my box. Of course the real match saver is that I take my 85 to all matches and classes.

2. After having rainy day problems, I put a stainless mag brake in my 85. Would the Shadow benefit from this? I'm not currently having problems. But mags out of the gun faster and more reliably, is a good thing.

3. When I went from a 15# main spring to a 13# spring, I had a couple light strikes in 100 rounds. I polished the firing pin and firing pin channel and no problems since. The Shadow came from CZC with a 13# spring. It has been 100% on CCI primers. Can I probably get away with a 11.5# main spring if I do the polishing? I have near 10,000 CCI primers, so I'm not willing to go to all Federal right now.

4. I did a quick search for a Shadow detail strip video. I found 10 for various B models. Anyone have one for an SP-01 Shadow?

5. I am not a fan of the safety on the Shadow. Is there one that has the same profile as my 85, will fit a shadow and stay Production/SSP legal?

usually the pad needs some fitting to slip under the sear to block it properly.

double check the keyway where the LHS fits the RHS.

other than the unexpected, should be just that.

yes..pretty much parts listed for 75 and 85 will fit the Sp01.

I have been shooting my Shadow for at least 4 years without a single problem. It wouldn't hurt to have a few spare parts springs, slide stop, trigger spring especially (although I've never had one fail). I have not replaced any of the springs with lighter ones do to the fact i would rather have a competition pistol 100% reliable than have an occasional misfire. the trigger will smooth over time (I'm sure it's nice now) but no need to change things. as far as the safety I'm not sure how it would be legal to change (it's and external part) although no one would ever know.

My CZC accushadow w/ CGW 11.5# mainspring has been 100% with CCI's, Remingtons, Winchesters and obviously Federals. The only light strikes I have had with the 11.5# mainspring were my fault as I didn't seat the primers enough on my 650, no different from when I was running a 13# main. I can't comment on the polishing as CZC did an awesome job on my gun, but I would double check your primer seating.

While this is not a video, this is an absolutely fantastic pictorial on detail stripping the SP01 Shadow: http://www.olegnikitin.com/news/complete-disassembly-assembly-of-cz-75-sp-01-shadow

I see you are in Portland, do you shoot USPSA? I come the the valley frequently for the ARPC USPSA matches. I would be more than happy to meet with you, I have the slim RAMI safeties fitted to my gun which are Prod legal, you could see how those fit your hand.

assuming you shoot USPSA means you have a variety of stuff you can do.

I would suggest the value for money options are:

extended firing pin (CGW comes with reduced power spring, otherwise buy a rami spring)

13lb or 11.5lb hammer spring

pre-b disconector (either CGW or CZ)

recoil spring of choice (somewhere between 9 and 11lb is usual for 9mm minor)

grips and front sight of choice.

That's about all you need to do. Shouldn't be more than about $100 for all that. You can do the hammer too but they are expensive and of course only really improve the SA break.

No need for the mag brake. the shadow already has a flat one.

if you are in USPSA I'd also suggest adding the CGW trigger pin and trigger return spring. again, not expensive to do.

Edited by BeerBaron

assuming you shoot USPSA means you have a variety of stuff you can do.

I would suggest the value for money options are:

extended firing pin (CGW comes with reduced power spring, otherwise buy a rami spring)

13lb or 11.5lb hammer spring

pre-b disconector (either CGW or CZ)

recoil spring of choice (somewhere between 9 and 11lb is usual for 9mm minor)

grips and front sight of choice.

That's about all you need to do. Shouldn't be more than about $100 for all that. You can do the hammer too but they are expensive and of course only really improve the SA break.

No need for the mag brake. the shadow already has a flat one.

if you are in USPSA I'd also suggest adding the CGW trigger pin and trigger return spring. again, not expensive to do.

+5,000,0000 ^^^

I run the 11.5# mainspring and thus far have never had a failed to ignite. I have tested all kinds of ammo as well and no issues so far.

Plus get the CGW trigger pin, its a lifesaver!

BB, My focus is USPSA Production. I think this http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspxhas most of what you're talking about. Based on the feedback I have here, I am going to try an 11.5# main spring. The CGW trigger pin is in the plan. It will probably wait until the first detail strip.

I have a handful of different recoil springs to "play" with. Gun is pretty flat now, but who knows, a little up or down may be much better.

Accu9, Thanks for link. That gives me what I need. I've never made it down to Albany. I've only shot Dundee and Douglas Ridge. I obviously have a good reason to go further south now.

The 91030 should already have an extended firing pin and CZC's version of the reduced firing pin spring installed. Its basically ready to go out of the box for USPSA Prod. I shot my 91030 stock in a few matches and practice sessions before I started experimenting with springs.

11.5 hammer spring with the extended firing pin/reduced spring have so far ignited CCI and Winchester primers with no issues. It did lighten up my DA trigger by about 1 lb.

Early on I broke a Trigger Return Spring, so that was a good excuse to swap out the trigger pin for CGWs FF pin. While it was apart I also installed a CGW reduced TRS.

I also ran some drills to compare the 11 lb recoil spring that came in the gun with a 10 lb'er. Based on the drills I opted to stay with the 11 lb spring.

The only issues I've had with the extended Shadow safeties is sometimes if I am not paying attention when I draw the left side safety gets partially flipped up by my strong hand thumb. But I think this is something I can address in training to make sure my thumb indexes on top of the safety when I draw. Being that the TS paddle is a little further forward than on a 1911/2011 I've had to do some re-training, but I'm getting there.

Ok, if you already have some bits inc extended firing pin and lighter firing pin spring my suggestion would be:

11.5 and 13lb hammer spring (get both, it's super easy to change them over and keep the one you like less as a backup)

for the disconector get the CGW one. I use the CZ UB pre-b but I've had a CGW one and the quality of it is very nice. shortening up the single action pre travel was a big improvement on my gun.

definitely do the CGW floating trigger pin and spring. will make changes much easier.

enjoy. :)