Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-magnified electronic or optical sight for Heavy Metal Ltd. Divisio

Hotchkiss

The rules for 3 Gun Heavy Metal Limited Division state:

"...Not more than one (1) non-magnified electronic or optical sight is permitted. Electronic or optical sights originally designed to be capable of any magnification (whether used or not) are prohibited."

Can anyone here recommend a non-magnified electronic sight (eg. a red dot) for use on an M1A?

How about a non-magnified optical sight (a scope) for use on the same rifle? Thanks much.

Edited by Hotchkiss

If you wear corrective lenses or have an astigmatism you may want to consider something like the Leupold Prismatic rather than a red dot as it can be adjusted to your preference (wearing corrective lenses or not)

The Vortex Spitfire 1X has an optical reticle circle & dot that can be lit up red or green for close up hosing or left black for distance shots. Works great for my astigmatism, perfectly clear for 300 yard shots at Pala.

Just have to find a mount for your M1A. Maybe a Scout?

Sent from my reloading bench using Tapatalk

Personally I don't think the M1A Iron sights can be improved on with the addition of a 1x of any kind.

+1. The only M1A I would run a scope on is the LRB with the integrated scope rail. All others are a compromise not worth pursuing. Those LRB M1A's are pretty pricey and a long wait. If you just gotta run a dot, then get an older style Aimpoint M2 with the 2moa dot and the lowest mount you can. Even then you will have to raise the comb to get behind it with a decent cheek weld.

Personally I don't think the M1A Iron sights can be improved on with the addition of a 1x of any kind.

+1. The only M1A I would run a scope on is the LRB with the integrated scope rail. All others are a compromise not worth pursuing. Those LRB M1A's are pretty pricey and a long wait. If you just gotta run a dot, then get an older style Aimpoint M2 with the 2moa dot and the lowest mount you can. Even then you will have to raise the comb to get behind it with a decent cheek weld.

Mike,

The CASM mount is probably the closest to the LRB receiver. The one I have fits very tightly into the pocket for the rear sight, and uses 5/16 flat head socket screws to hold it. Ejection was flawless, without a single mark on the mount.