Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First large batch Problem

Ok, I've got everything ready to go for my first large batch of 5.56 but I can't the powder measure/drop to be consistent.

I think it has to do with how the brass contacts the powder funnel. Sometimes there is an extra jump/bump/clackity-clack, however you want to describe it, in the operation of the powder bar going back. This causes a difference of about 0.5 grain in the powder drop.

Is this to be expected? Am I wrried over something I shouldn't be?

I'm using TAC and the drop is 26.5gr and it happens if I go fast or slow, it just doesn't happen consistenly enough to set the powder bar for it.

Sorry if I posted this is the wrong forum. Also, I searched but couldn't find anything dealing with my problem, so I'm sorry if this comes up every few days. This is my first post other than in the new member intro.

Welcome to the Forums. What kind of press do you have? If it's a Dillon, and this is your first experience, I'd guess that glynnm45 is correct. The newer type powder measures can be "clunky" if not set correctly. With the shell plate empty, push the handle forward, like you would if you were seating a primer. Hold it there and look at the blue wing nut and spring at the bottom end of the fail safe rod - the nut should be adjusted so that the spring is at least half way compressed.

Just for a baseline my throws on 25.0 grain charge of H-335 were within .1 on every throwfor 10 throws. I did polish the inside of the measure and the bowl area not the powder bar. I also polished the levers at the contacts points and adjusted as Youngeyes mentions.

You could check to be sure the wave washer on the side of the measure isn't overly tight.

Do you have the rifle powder funnel in, the one with just an inverted taper.

You should be able to get much better consitencies in your throws with just a little tweaking.

The press is a 550b.

Checked the wingnut- all's good there.

I've done the polishing.

I haven't checked the washer mentioned. I will and report back.

I am using the rifle funnel and it is in the correct position.

Thanks for the help so far!

Ok, I'm not sure what the "wave washer" is. I looked on the side of my measure but didn't see anything that I'd call a "washer".

The white teflon block is in place, but there is play in it.

What it looks like is happening is that the mouth of the case is sometimes catching the edge of the powder funnel. When this happens the measure starts to move up and then the weight of the measure causes the case to slide on into the funnel, thus bringing the measure back down. This extra movement is causing a difference of 0.3- 0.5 gr. I has hoping to stay between 0.1-0.2.

The wave washer is on the linkage where the screws goes through the measure. Too loose = sloppy, too tight and things bind. It is meant to hold tension and as such should not be fully collasped flat.

The issue you just described sound more like a case placement issue, not related to the powder hopper. Double check that you have the correct shellplate and pins as well as that the plate is stopping centered with the detaent ball, sounds like you are looking for a small issue.

Check the shell plate for proper tension. If it's too loose the case can wobble in position and come under the powder funnel out of alignment. Just a thought

I'm going to check this tonight. I had loosened it some to keep it from snapping into place so hard. I was spilling powder out of my case but I was probably causing that, not the shellplate. By loosening it I probably caused the problem. "For every action...."

Thanks for all the help and responses!

Throw all the "fail safe" stuff away and get two springs from Brian. The old style works much better than the new, at least, in this case.

I'm not familiar with the old style. Please elaborate. Thanks!

Check the shell plate for proper tension. If it's too loose the case can wobble in position and come under the powder funnel out of alignment. Just a thought

What Kirk said! When the shellplate is too loose the case can tip slightly and the case mouth hits the edge of the powder funnel instead of the center. When the powder funnel starts lifting dropping a small amount of powder, then the case mouth slips off the edge of the powder funnel and the powder funnel drops down slightly until stopped by the case mouth allowing the powder measure to refill before it starts moving again.

What Kirk said! When the shellplate is too loose the case can tip slightly and the case mouth hits the edge of the powder funnel instead of the center. When the powder funnel starts lifting dropping a small amount of powder, then the case mouth slips off the edge of the powder funnel and the powder funnel drops down slightly until stopped by the case mouth allowing the powder measure to refill before it starts moving again.

This is exactly what's happening. I don't have time to try it out tonight but I did tighten the shellplate and it looks like this problem is solved. I'll know for sure tomorrow night, but I feel good about it!