Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lock Box Recommendation

Duane Thomas

Over on my own site, I have a young mother who's asking me for recommendation on a small, easily mountable lock box to keep her gun in, now that the little one is more active - a topic I know zip about since (a) I don't have kids and never have, ( B) I have an actual upright gun safe. Could anyone possibly give some better advice than moi? Here's a link:

http://self-defense-handguns.com/forum/index.php?topic=147.msg553#new

NOTE: DON'T POST ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD, THAT DOES HER NO GOOD, CLICK ON THE LINK ABOVE AND POST ANSWERS IN THE THREAD TO WHICH IT LEADS YOU.

Thanks in advance, folks, for all your help.

Edited by Duane Thomas

How about clicking on the link in my post, and posting that info in the thread to which it leads you. :)

I do believe she's more interested in the fingerprint activated electronic lock boxes, which frankly I had never heard of before.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Sent a link for her use. Hope it helps.

Thanks, man. I'm sure it would be very useful, except that post doesn't actually have the link in it. ;)

It does now. Also left(hopefully) a link to a high rated non biometric safe

Duane, If you want to cut and paste this you are welcome to do so. Registration on your forum doesn't work for me. Maybe I am too impatient but I had this problem before also.

In answer to her Glock question, a close friend of mine (Actually she is my DCM) has small hands. She went the Kahr route and was unhappy. She tried a couple others and was not happy. She is a regular shooter and teaches so it isn't a case of inexperience.

She finally settled on a Glock 36. She felt the single stack worked well and was concealable for her frame. My daughter, on the other hand, really likes my Sig P6 single stack 9MM.

For the safe, both my son and a friend of his use the Gun Vault brand http://www.gunvault.com/ They use the Mini Vault http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/minivault.html/

I have been looking at the Hornady Rapid Safe. http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe It has RFID access also.

Hope this helps her

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

What is the problem that prevents you from registering? To what pont in the process do you get when you hit a snag?

Go through the entire process, says error but nit what the error is and a message about waiting for email that never arrives.

No big deal for me, use what I posted and I hope it helps

I hear you, I had the exact same problem with a comic book related website I wanted to join. At that point, hearing, "Well, it works for everyone else," is just irritating. Finally I talked to one of the moderators and had him register me, himself. I've forwarded on a link to this convo to my web master, we'll do whatever is necessary to get you registered. I appreciate you putting in the time, multiple times, attempting to sign up for my site, and we'll do whatever it takes to actually make that happen. For one thing, I have always enoyed reading your posts, and have no doubt you'd be a huge asset over on Self-Defense-Handguns.com.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Thanks Duane and I responded to your PM. This could be a double edge sword though, I am incapacitated from ankle fusion surgery until April so I have a lot of free time and my airsoft practice only goes so far from the chair :devil:

Well, that just means you'll have oodles of time to post on Self-Defense-Handguns.com, right? :D

I have registered you manually, myself, which I can do as a site admin, and an email notifying you of your password should now be sitting in your email inbox.

For the safe, both my son and a friend of his use the Gun Vault brand http://www.gunvault.com/ They use the Mini Vault http://www.gunvault.com/gun-safes/minivault.html/

I have been looking at the Hornady Rapid Safe. http://www.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe It has RFID access also.

Hope this helps her

I'm a fan of the mini vault as well. The one in my bedroom is 14 years old or so, and still in perfect shape. Every couple f years it gets a new set of batteries...

She finally settled on a Glock 36. She felt the single stack worked well and was concealable for her frame. My daughter, on the other hand, really likes my Sig P6 single stack 9MM.

Hope this helps her

I liked the 36 when I had one. If you want a Glock single-stack in 9mm that's 36 like, the M&P shield is the ticket -- points the same and feels like a slightly smaller version of the 36....

Best part -- it's available now!

Hope this helps her

I liked the 36 when I had one. If you want a Glock single-stack in 9mm that's 36 like, the M&P shield is the ticket -- points the same and feels like a slightly smaller version of the 36....

Best part -- it's available now!

And cheap ;)

I'm sure the lady in question would benefit from the insights and experiences being share here, if they were being shared instead in a venue where she could easily read them. There's also a thread over on Self-Defense-Handguns.com where a senior shooter is enquiring about handloading data for the .308 that could use some love, too. (Hey, we're not doctrinaire about either the "self defense" or the "handguns" part of the equation.) Going back to the "Glock 26" thread, it started out as discussion of the G26 but swiftly morphed into a discussion of how to safetly keep a gun in a home that also includes a small child. I have asked a female friend of mine to post, since she's a mother and shooter who's actually had that experience. I'm sure the OP would appreciate hearing from another woman and mother, instead of all this unrelenting maleness. :)

Gee Duane, you came here to ask a question.....

You could print out the thread, or send her a link to it.....

You've got options that don't include other folks complicating their lives -- if this is really about helping an acquaintance, and not a recruiting drive....

Wow. Thanks for the support. I mean...seriously? Recruitment drive.

No, I just don't like lazy, antisocial people. Certainly not on my website. If someone can't be bothered to actually join the site, my attitude is I don't need them, or their input, on my site. Admittedly I didn't develop that rule until earlier today, but it seems like a good one to me. I may amend that as time goes by. Probably not, though. There does seem to be a certain self-regulating function here. Because the people who could be bothered to "complicate their lives" to that tiny extent, in order to help another person, have actually posted some good, solid information to that thread. That's what I want on my site: friendly, knowledgeable people who will extend themselves to help others. It's not about making things as easy as possible for myself, it's not that I'm too freakin' lazy to copy a link, it's certainly not about any sort of recruitment drive, it's about having people who want to make things as easy as possible on the person who needs the information. It's a baseline way of viewing the world that really does have an effect on the overall vibe of a message board, in my opinion.

I have noticed many times over the years, there seems to be an attitude among some people, on certain message boards, who have spent a lot of time getting really good at a particular thing, who have develped a high level of knowledge and skill, that their time is too valuable to be wasted dealing with newbie questions. They're just not willing to extend themselves. That attitude has been, by and large, absent on BrianEnos.com. It will be totally absent on Self-Defense-Handguns.com.

Having said all that, and meaning every word of it, I will also (seemingly) reverse myself and admit I did click on the link provided by Mr. Not Up For Joining Another Website But Here Anyway Do It Yourself, and then clicked on another link from there that led to a page addressing the problems with biometric gun safes, and posted that link into the thread over on my site. As much as the attitude struck me wrong, I'm not going to turn my back on information the OP really did need to know.

Other than that, I'll thank you to keep your commentary to yourself. When you have your own website, you can run it any way you want, without me kibitzing and critiquing. Honest. I expect the same courtesy. And if, for some hideous reason, I felt the need to call your personal integrity into question, I certainly wouldn't do it in public. That's just rude. But if you want to do this in public, I can certainly respond in kind.

FYI, I did run by Brian the idea of posting links to questions on my site here on BE.com, as long as I don't use the opportunity to pump things I have to sell, before I started this thread, and he said that was just fine. My website has been up for over a year now. If I wanted to use BE.com in some sort of sneaky stealth attempt to lure people onto my message board, I'm kinda late out of the box, huh? Generally, I answer people's questions myself. The reason I posted here is that I know jack-all about teeny little box safes. The reason I posted a link to a question about .308 loads is that I know jack-all about handloading .308. And really, what do you think I might actually gain from this supposed recruitment drive? There must a level of fame and riches to be had here to which I am COMPLETELY oblivious. I mean, really, you can't even easily get from my message board to the rest of the site, thus to actually be able to find anything I have for sale.

Engage brain, Nik. And basic politeness skills. Know what you're talking about before you accuse someone else of malfeasance in public. Because in case you're wondering whether you managed to offend and irritate me, you did.

Edited by Duane Thomas