Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum number of mags / pistol?

jester

Shot my 1st IDPA match.  I brought 4 mags w/ me.  By the end of the day, I could have used another 2.  So, What is a minimum number of mags I should have available, either in a pouch or pocket, per pistol for competition?

That depends on what gun your shooting.  Limited-10 / Production guys better have 5 mags.  Limited guys (15+rd mags) better have at least 3 mags.  Open, what do they need....one? :)

I wear 4 pouches for my 20rd 10mm mags, but usually leave one or two of the mags in the range bag, depending on the round count.  As a rule, have one more mag than you "need" on a stage.

Jester your four will suffice for IDPA in matches that don't include the classifier or big multiple-string standards (Limited Vickers stages). The classifier includes multiple strings and mandatory reloads, so having six loaded mags means you won't be delaying your squad while you load magazines between strings.

You can only start a stage with three (one in the gun and two spares for reloads) and stages can't have more than 18 rounds so you are all set.

Saturday, my 1st match, we shot the classifier.  3 stages, multiple strings/ stage, 30 rounds per stage.  Reloaded my mags 3X.  In each of the 3 stages, there seemed to always be a string where you would start w/ a mag w/ only 3 or 6 rounds, shoot to slide lock, change mags and continue shooting.  

Can wait till next match.  I just need more gear! ;)

(Edited by Jester at 3:39 pm on April 9, 2002)

I shot a classifier that required 4 magazines due to mandatory reloads. I happen to have 5 for shooting the steel challenge so I was fine but other than that one stage, I do not think I used more than 2 the rest of the day.

I shoot limited in 40S&W using a STI pistol

Depends on how much you miss ;-) I have 9. My production gun has 5 which is the min for me. The most you need in a course of fire is usually 3 ie 3 strings or 2 reloads on a 28 round course but you need extra for misses, dropped mags while running, broken mags, throwing mags over hill after missing 4 times haha

My Ruger 22 has 4 mags so when I shoot steel matches I have to pick up one mag and load it for last string. No big deal but distracts some people. Spend some money on mags. Our suppliers need it( just kidding)

Then you can go overboard ---- I brought 15 ten rounders for the Glock 34 to last year's Winter Nationals.  I didn't want to take a chance on holding up my squad while having to reload magazines.  I think there were at least five full mags that I emptied at the end of the day.  This year I cut it down to ten.  That was  enough.

• 4 weeks later...

My vote goes to 6 mags.  In IDPA this can mean you don't have to load mags before every stage, and shooting Limited 10 this is pretty much the number you may need in a worse case situation.

I settled on seven many years ago, mostly from pin shooting.  It gave me one mag per table, plus the reload on my belt and chamber-round supply.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the way that turned into seven magazines for every single pistol in the shop, and I now find I have over 100 magazines of various calibers and configurations!

I'm going to agree with the majority above.  For Production and L10, 5 would be my minimum and 6 or more would be nicer.  For Limited and Open, I would say 4 would be a minimum just because you might have two mandatory reloads and that would give you one extra on the belt in case you dropped on or something.  That being said, I have a few more than that.  Can you ever have too many?  

Another point to all new shooters. Get as many as you can afford within reason. I have been at matches and trashed 3 mags on the first 2 stages. I mean FULL of mud. I don't like to clean mags at a match so I just toss them in the bag and pick up a clean one.

Yes USPSA Is there anything else I don't follow IPSC very much sorry I missed that.

The advice is still good. More mags, but not too many. I have shot a big match that required 3 reloads. That means 5 mags, 1 in gun and a backup mag. I would not even go to a club match with less than 5/6 mags. My super holds 28 and I have 9 mags. I finished an Area one time with 2 left. It was MUDDY. I have also shot when the rain was falling hard non stop, you could imagine the mud. Can' clean a mag very easily then.

Mags are like ammo. You never say I finshed the match with too many/much left.