Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble with AR barrel swap

NateTSU

I am trying to swap the factory barrel, it's a Palmetto State Armory upper with a Midwest Industry Gen 2 free float rail. I bought the upper already assembled from psa. I have everything taken off except the barrel nut, I can't even get it to budge. I have watched videos (brownells) on how to do the barrel swap. Has anyone had issues with Psa uppers before? Any tips?

You might give PSA a call and ask if they use Loctite when they put them together.

I bought a Brownells barrel extension torque tool (#0800-000-637) so I don't have to worry about tweaking an upper when the going gets tough. Money well spent!

Well I sent customer service an email asking if thread locker was used, hopefully I get a response Monday. I applied a little heat to the barrel nut so if there was thread locker it should have turned loose, but I was still unable to get it to break loose.

Well I was able to get the barrel nut broke loose. I preheated the barrel nut with a propane torch for 3-4 minutes then put the wrench on and started applying torque and more heat, after about 30 seconds of this it finally broke loose. I took much more heat and pressure than I thought it would whoever assembled my upper must have had it tourqed at the max end of the spec.

Newbake had it right, more heat and more torque.

Edited by NateTSU

When I torqued the barrel nut on the new barrel I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was, Everything was lined up at 35 foot pounds of torque. Everything I have read says 30-80 so whoever must have installed it must have been close to 80.

I have had one I took apart for someone who chose to use red on everything. Barrel nut, buffer tube everywhere. The alignment wasn't right on the barrel nut and he couldn't budge it. The stock he tore the back apart on a rifle tube trying. To budge it and it didn't move. A torch drilled hole through the tube and a steel dowel rod eventually removed the buffer tube. A lot of time with a torch and the barrel but eventually moved. The torque required really isn't that much. I don't even use a torque wrench anore as I know what's good on it as the minimum is actually pretty low.