Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major reload data needed

IDPA SO

Hi all,

Just picked up a STI Tru Bor i 9mm. My first open gun. i curretly load for IDPA ESP 126K PF. The components i have available to me at this time are listed below.

147 RN Extreme

165 RN Extreme

FED 100 Primer

CFE Pistol Powder

Vhita N320 Powder

Any input for a major 9mm load development from these components will be very appreciated. Also any suggestios for other loads with other components would be appreciated too.

Thanks

My personal opinion is the bullets you have are way too heavy and too soft, the primers are too soft and the only powder you have that will safely get you there is the CFE. Most run 124-125 grain bullets but many, including me have switched to 115's. If you are going to run plated you probably want the heavy plate concave base Extreme offerings. Some run coated bullets such as BBI but they will smoke some. Small rifle primers are used extensively in 9MAJOR/38 sup because they are harder and hold up to the extreme pressures much better. Too soft a primer and you may end up piercing them or having flow issues. Fed Small rifle are what I use. As for the powder, CFE is acceptable. Burn is similar to WAC so you are talking 7+grains or thereabouts depending on your oal.

Sarge

Thank you for your input. i figured I wasnt going to safely make power with the heavy bullets I have. i do have FED small rifle primers so i will use them when I start loading for major. i am guessing the 7 plus would be for the 115 grain loads. I tried my current loads. shoots well----one at a time as i rack the slide every time.

Thanks again

Do a search for CFE loads in the 9mm section. I was pretty close to my Auto comp loads with the same charge weights. For me I load 7.8 for 115's. I was 7.2-3 for 121 IFP's So probably about 7 for 124's. Those were full jackets though so if you run good plated bullets you might be a little less.

Load data for CFE. Start low and work up. I own, shoot and load for a TruBor, of the components you have listed I would only use the CFE for 9 major. 115 and 124-125 bullets are the normal, WIn and CCI SRP primers. The VV320 will make a nice soft minor load should you wish to try that. The specific bullets used in this test were HAP. I have loaded some 115 and 125 Zero but haven't tested them yet. The author of the article loaded to 1.150 AOL.

Hodgdon_CFE-ipsc-uspsa_major_power_facto

Load data for CFE. Start low and work up. I own, shoot and load for a TruBor, of the components you have listed I would only use the CFE for 9 major. 115 and 124-125 bullets are the normal, WIn and CCI SRP primers. The VV320 will make a nice soft minor load should you wish to try that. The specific bullets used in this test were HAP. I have loaded some 115 and 125 Zero but haven't tested them yet. The author of the article loaded to 1.150 AOL.

Hodgdon_CFE-ipsc-uspsa_major_power_facto

Why would somebody load to such goofy charge weights. I can dial mine in to exact even numbered loads. Statistically those numbers are much closer than this chart makes them look. Plus it looks like he may have a slightly slower barrel? 115's with 7.8 WAC gets me 172+ and I load out to 1.165 or so. And that is with rock hard MG bullets.

More than anything this chart reinforces the fact that not all loads perform the same from one gun to the next and that not all guns are the same.

You weigh 10 charges at a time you will get average drops like this. I assume the authore didn't round off anything. His 7.73 of AC to get a 170 power factor is very close to your 172 with 7.8 using AC. As always use the info as a baseline start low and work up.

Maybe I just missed it but I have seen very little data for CFE which is one of the few items he has listed that can be used for 9 Major.

CFE for your powder. My sweet spot using 124gr MG JHP was 7.2gr. I use Fed primers with no issue. The standard plated X-Treme bullets won't handle the velocity of major. Supposedly the heavy plated version is good to 1500 fps. Have not tried them. The Montana Gold jacketed are very accurate and no issues handling the velocity. I load my 124's to 1.165.

The standard plated X-Treme bullets won't handle the velocity of major. Supposedly the heavy plated version is good to 1500 fps

This is not necessarily true, on Saturday I was shooting regular plate 115 Xtreme bullets at 1,492fps; I shot CM 99-59 and the 25 yard target had 5 As and 3 close Cs (4 shots were fired free style, 2 strong hand and 2 weak hand), so while I know they have the potential to be accurate at high velocities I still bought some heavy plate bullets from Xtreme and Berry's to compare sometime in the future.

If you buy MG by the case, the prices are very close to Xtreme at 500 at a time. And there is no doubt MG is a very good bullet.

The case pricing is ~10 cents each for MG, but if you buy 25K+ Xtreme at a time (my local group buys a few hundred thousand per year) they're ~6 cents each.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I tested my first CFE loads this weekend and 7.9gr under an Xtreme 115gr @ 1.170" made 171PF in my 5.4" barrel with two 3/16" holes in it.

Which one of the Extreme 115 did you use the standard 115 or the HPCB i see they offer both. Assuming they are the RN.