Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why doesn't anyone make a Tungsten grip plug?

JoeyMac

The Seattle slug plugs are, I think brass. And many of the heavyweight plugs that can mount a magwells are also brass. THere are also steel and aluminum plugs, but brass is pretty popular due to the increased weight.

With MIM and sintering methods available to cast metal grip plugs with little-to-no post processing, and tungsten literally being 2X the weight of brass.... why are there no tungsten grip plugs or magwell plugs? Granted, tungsten powders are pricey at $50/LB in bulk... it's not bad when you consider people pay $100 for tungsten guide rods (that can break and malfunction the gun). I'll bet you could sell tungsten grip/magwell plugs like hotcakes for $75ea.

Edited by JoeyMac

My guess is because tungsten is hard to work and probably not commercially feasible.

I see MIM and forging as possibles but at least MIM is pricey to set up from what I know.

Counter question, why not make the magwell heavier since many are aluminum? Or are you saying you want heavier than brass insert and brass magwell?

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

My guess is because tungsten is hard to work and probably not commercially feasibIt would almost have to assuredlyle.

I see MIM and forging as possibles but at least MIM is pricey to set up from what I know.

Counter question, why not make the magwell heavier since many are aluminum? Or are you saying you want heavier than brass insert and brass magwell?

Tungsten does not machine easily and is pricey enough that you wouldn't want to waste 20% or more of your metal stock by whittling it away. It would almost HAVE to definitely be MIM or sintered to be cost effective - and even then, how may units would have to be produced to get costs down under $75/ea or so. If the parts came out around 6oz ea, that's probably almost $15+ in material cost alone compared to maybe $2 in brass costs.

I guess it doesn't matter anyways because everyone knows you're not a true gamer unless you use an osmium grip plug. haha.

Edited by JoeyMac

I guess it doesn't matter anyways because everyone knows you're not a true gamer unless you use an osmium grip plug. haha.

A better option would be Osmiridium, which is an alloy of Osmium and Irridium. It's rare, expensive, and hard to work but think of the bragging rights!

I thought of another solution but I am back to what is the point when you can already do brass insert plus brass magwell

I may try it for shits and gigs and post results (if I can still work a mill...)

Because you could have tungsten insert AND tungsten magwell! And then an SJC weight! And Taylor Freelance brass base pads! And thumbrest!

And then your gun would literally weigh a ton, and people could quit complaining about how plastic will never weigh as much or absorb recoil like a metal framed gun.