Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal Bayou 180 TC Finished Length?

pls4541

This may have been discussed here previously, but need some experienced help with this..I've enjoyed shooting the Bayou 180 TC thru both my CZ & Tanfoglio for some time with no issues using a finished cartridge length of 1.125". I have purchased a new Lyman manual which, according to a picture which resembles this bullet, indicates 1.100" finished. My current powder charge is 5.3 gr of VV N340, which seems to work very well. I have noticed that my current load at 1.125" will not seat fully in my Wilson "go no go", but again I have experienced zero problems. Too long?? and if loaded shorter would there be potential pressure issues? I do have alternate powders on hand, mostly Power Pistol & HS-6 if need be.

I'd appreciate hearing from others who may be loading these. Thanks

It's not too long. I load .40 major and minor to 1.135 for my Glocks, and I have no issues. I can load out to at least 1.140 without feeding issues.

Now, on your Wilson gage, it may be designed for 0.400 jacketed/plated bullets. The BB's run at least 0.401 in my experience, and maybe even 0.0005 more. Seems like a small amount, but it is enough to keep them from dropping down in a tight case gage. My EGW will not fully seat maybe 25% of my BB reloads, so I gage them upside down. Anything that does not seat upside down gets plunked in the chamber for a final test.

It's not too long. I load .40 major and minor to 1.135 for my Glocks, and I have no issues. I can load out to at least 1.140 without feeding issues.

Now, on your Wilson gage, it may be designed for 0.400 jacketed/plated bullets. The BB's run at least 0.401 in my experience, and maybe even 0.0005 more. Seems like a small amount, but it is enough to keep them from dropping down in a tight case gage. My EGW will not fully seat maybe 25% of my BB reloads, so I gage them upside down. Anything that does not seat upside down gets plunked in the chamber for a final test.

It irritates me that nearly all .40 S&W Chamber checkers are useless for most lead loads and loads that are a hair longer than Saami spec. The only lead loads that will work are the 155g LSWC and smaller.

Since I started to load for Major, I used a Mansor reamer to ream my Glock KKM barrel to load them longer and I reamed the EGW Chamber checker to match it. I doubt I would do that to the 50 round chamber checker since that is 100 doll hairs.

That's my exact current load also except for OAL of 1.145 I did run it at 1.165 but was a little long for my tanfo mags. Both rounds check out in my dillion guage just fine. I did bump up powder charge to 5.6 for area 2. 181 PF with no over pressure signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chrono'd my 180 loads yesterday, 5.3gr VV N304, Win SPP, various brass, 1.130", thru a CZ SP-01 tactical clocked average 920 fps. Thinking of adding a touch more powder to be sure it clocks major if I'm checked at an area shoot.

It irritates me that nearly all .40 S&W Chamber checkers are useless for most lead loads and loads that are a hair longer than Saami spec. The only lead loads that will work are the 155g LSWC and smaller.

Since I started to load for Major, I used a Mansor reamer to ream my Glock KKM barrel to load them longer and I reamed the EGW Chamber checker to match it. I doubt I would do that to the 50 round chamber checker since that is 100 doll hairs.

The shockbottle 40L 100rd checker will do those. ;)

I tried a few of these today with a load of 7.4 gr HS-6, at the 1.130". Interestingly, my new Lyman manual published the charge range from 7.3 to 8.4 gr HS-6...glad I didn't charge any more as this felt very hot. Checked the Hodgdon website tonight and their charge range for the HS-6 was 6.6 to 7.4 with BERB, which I think is the abbreviation for Berry's plated. I think I'll try the 6.6 next time.