Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Shooting BEginner, pistol choices...

akeefer

CZ is a great gun for a competitive option but it's 3x times the cost of a Glock 34/35. It's definitely a buy once and cry once scenario.

You can interchange barrels for a Glock 34/35, shoot between production, limited Major/Minor, and stay cost effective. Not sure if CZ can do the same but if you dedicate to one specific class it'll definitely be worth the cost.

That's just my opinion. I ended up jumping to Open and I haven't looked back since :)

I've always found it funny that some people (and I'm not saying you are as your post shows that obviously you understand the idea behind the cost of a pistol and it's value to the user) will say for the "price of xxx brand I could buy 2 of yyy brand" or "that is $300 more than yyy brand" when in the end the cost of the pistol is minor in the scheme of things if you really shoot a lot (and enjoy it). I can see for the very, very casual gun owner who wants to buy a gun for home defense that will be shot a couple of times at the range then left in a safe in the bedroom waiting to be deployed in the most dire of circumstances, in that case the least expensive Glock makes a lot of sense. I do a lot of big game fly fishing and when someone finds out I spend $1,500 to $2,000 on one of my fly reels (when a typical high end fly reel usually goes for $500-$700), never realizing that the cost of my fly reel is but a small part of my annual fishing budget.

• 4 weeks later...

Once you've shot a steel gun it's hard to go plastic. I started with a Glock many years ago and once I shot a 1911, sig etc in steel, I don't shoot the Glock. It just lives in my safe. Great gun but not for me especially in competition shooting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently just started USPSA and will be shooting the production class . I chose the M&P Pro 5" model . I prefer the ergo's over the glocks , however The P320 and FNS 9L are both I have experimented with and they are awesome shooters . I'm just so invested in M&P products that I have mags , parts etc galore !!

I second that the M&P pro 5 is a great choice if you haven't tried one out already. After putting in the apex comp kit you will have a nice trigger just under 3lbs. However, I would just stick with the Glock for now and while your at matches check out some of the other guns being shot. Most times if you as to see some ones gun they will let your have a feel in the safe area. I think the best production gun I have played with so far is a CZ but I have yet to run across a EAA stock 2.