Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62x39 question

formernuke

Is it economically sound to load 7.62x39? If so what bullets are good?

I was going to just use tula/wolf but every 1/3 to 1/2 round fails to fire. I tested them in more than one rifle just to make sure with the same results. So I'm considering saving up for the all the stuff needed to start loading my own, but wanted to see about components first.

Using 1680 or 4227 and 123gr Priv I'm loading x39 for ~.29/round. Since my Colt can't run steel either I opted to reload when brass cased x39 passed $.43/round and became scarce. The most expensive part is going to be brass which you don't find much at the local ranges. 1680 is a bit hard to find but 4227 is around and works just as good with 123gr bullets.

I recently saw an add for Yugo at $265 per 900 shipped so that's an attractive option. Keep in mind though, that if you ever want or need to reload, the Yugo brass is berdan primed so you can't salvage the brass. Yugo is very accurate stuff but, for a few cents more per round, you can probably find some reloadable brass elsewhere.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Indoor ranges are a good source for brass cased 7.62X39. Seems they are a little geeked out about some customers shooting steel cased ammo which might have a steel core bullet.

Speer makes a TNT bullet that's fairly cheap.

There are two "types" of 7.62x39 sizing dies out there. Some are made for .308 bullets and others for .311 bullets. You need to know which one you have as well as the diameter of your bore as some US guns have .308 bores in 7.62x39mm. You might have luck shooting .308 bullets in a .311 bore. I suspect that at worst, accuracy with a .308 125g US made bullet will be on par with a Russian .311 bullet.

The Lee dies come with a two different sizes of decapping rod/neck expanders. One is meant for .308 bullets and the other is meant for .311 projectiles. If you use the .311 expander, and have .308 bullets, when you go to seat the bullet, the .308 bullet will drop into the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Before Christmas, I saw an add for 1,000 7.62x39 brass for $165 or $195...I don't remember which. I have "horse traded" some brass for 7.62x39. I figure I will just buy the cheapest brass cased 7.62x39 ammo I can find and trade until I build up to a decent amount of brass.

• 3 weeks later...