Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Win 9x23 in a 38 super

hdgun

I had a bunch of 9x23 and used them in a .38 super.

If you are running a "real" 9x23 chamber I think you are suppose to use 9mm dies. But, after sizing the cases with 38 super dies they worked fine in my 38 super gun. Didn't do any extractor adjustment at all.

edit: Oops, my mistake....I see now that you are getting loaded factory ammo. i was thinking you were getting 9x23 empty cases to use in your super. I've never shot any 9x23 factory loaded ammo out of a super.

Edited by Bamboo

9x23 has the taper like a 9mm, Super is straight walled so they will fit just like the guys who shoot 9mm in supers. You might consider just selling it if it is factory stuff. there is a bit of a cult following on 9x23 by the 1911 single stack guys and since factory 9x23 is not common it might be worth more than just shooting it?

9X23 simply won't fit in some 38 Super chambers. The 9X23 is wider at the head than the 38. I tried 9X23 in all of my 38 barrels. They fit in some, but not all.

If they do fit, then the question is whether they can be fired in your 38. If they fit loose, you might be okay. If they aren't a loose fit, they might get stuck when fired. This happened to me and I had to pound the brass out, and it required serious pounding with a big hammer. I fired several rounds through the gun before one got stuck, but when it did stick, OMG it was stuck!

Pressure in a Super chamber might be higher than if they are fired in a 9X23 chamber. The word is that the 9X23 has a long throat to help keep pressure down. Gunsmiths on the 1911 forum recommend that folks ream their chamber with a proper 9X23 reamer to make sure the throat is long enough. If you have any questions about this, talk with your gunsmith.

Some folks report shooting 9X23 in their 38 chambers with no problems.

These are the only precautions I'm aware of.

I know this is a tapered case. I also know this is a rimless case. This ammo is coming from a good friend and don't want to capitalize on selling it for profit. I would rather him sell it if that were the case.

I understand this ammo is about 1450fps. Just kinda wondering what kind of results any might have got using it. Ie: accuracy, recoil ect. Thanks