Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reload dry fire practice

snokid

I have been practicing reloads but I haven't had the slide back and dropped it during my practice. I'm noticing that I'm getting the gun full alright but dropping the slide is taking what seems like too much time.

so if I want to practice my reloads from slide lock and drop the slide then pull the trigger. how do I do it?

dummy rounds?

drop the slide on an empty gun?

remove the firing pin & use live rounds?

none really seem like the right thing to do...

so how do you guys/girls practice doing reloads?

thanks

Bob

At Second Chance there were optionals called Two Man and Mixed Doubles.  They involved 22 pins, and two shooters with guns holding eight rounds.  You always had to reload.

For practice, we'd do one shot drills.  Load all available magazines with one round.  Load the gun, and on the buzzer come off the rail and drill one pin.  Then reload again and again against the clock until you're out of magazine, pins or focus.  You could do the same thing with a plate or target.  (So, what would your time be with a "Reload Bill Drill?")

We always dropped the slide lever with the left thumb, as the hand slid up to come to the firing grip, and the sights came onto the next pin.

As for dry-firing it, I'd invest in real dummy rounds, not reloaded dead-primer dummies.  Too much chance of dry fire becoming wet fire if you use home made dummies.

If that is too much expense, have a friend who loads a bottlnecked cartridge based on your caliber.  (.400 Cor-bon for .45, .357 Sig for .40, etc) and use those dummies as practice.  As long as you yourself don't load or shoot that caliber, you can be sure the bottlenecked ones are the dummies.  They should feed and extract just fine.

I deactivate my slidestops, so I never practice from slidelock

I just grab the back of the slide after a reload (If the previous shot went "click&quot on the way back out to the target and give it a brisk tug.

I hate to use any kind of dummy, I'd rather practice not running out of ammo

Pat

There is a thread somewhere here where it was discussed that a slide lock reload usually takes about 3 sec (in my own time I can do it a tad less.)  Pat, I was wondering if you have ever timed yourself if you had a click-rack-bang after a reload?

I'm experimenting with light springs with double buffs.  And with this setup, most of the time (depending on the buffs available), the slide lock does not work anymore. :)

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Personally speaking, for USPSA I never practice a slide lock reload.  I spend a lot of my walk through figuring out how to avoid going to slide lock.

For IDPA is always want to be at slide lock to keep from having to perform any stupid feeling retention type reload.  For this I use dummy rounds made up from steel cased ammo.  I never use this crap, so the steel cases show up like a sore thumb.

I saw a guy using a borrowed revolver last year.  His first reload was with a speedloader full of primerless dummies.  Last I saw of him he was still chasing the "lender'...

Deprime the dummies and fill the primer hole with black silicon.  The black stands out which helps you spot the dummies in case you get them mixed in with the real ones.  If you really want to make them visible drill some holes in the casing.

• 2 years later...
I have been practicing reloads but I haven't had the slide back and dropped it during my practice. I'm noticing that I'm getting the gun full alright but dropping the slide is taking what seems like too much time.

so if I want to practice my reloads from slide lock and drop the slide then pull the trigger. how do I do it?

dummy rounds?

drop the slide on an empty gun?

remove the firing pin & use live rounds?

none really seem like the right thing to do...

so how do you guys/girls practice doing reloads?

thanks

Bob

Dude remove the firing pin can you say AD because do that trick enough you will either do 1 of 2 things AD or show up w/o the firing pin eventually

• 2 weeks later...