Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sphinx Sub Compact

Pc1663

Thinking about buying one as a CCW but I'm having a hard time finding any reviews on it. Sphinx Compact reviews are everywhere but little to no info on the sub compact version. Has anybody shot one? Opinions?

• 3 weeks later...

There are several Sphinx SDP Compact and SubCompact currently for sale on Gunbroker.

Prices look fairly steep, but I know it's a premium gun. And a great looking gun. The cost for a CZ P01 or RAMI is several hundred $'s less. But I've never had a problem paying a premium for a premium gun. That's assuming it can live up to it's billing.

Edited by JGus

I've got a sphinx subcompact. I'm a big CZ fan owning more than half a dozen and wanted something smaller than my CZ compact but with a CZ manual of arms. In addition, I'm left handed so I was attracted to the ambi decockers. The sphinx line gets stellar reviews so I thought I would buy one when they became available.

In short, it's a fantastic premium grade firearm. The machining, parts, fit, finish, and build quality is as high as anything I've ever seen in a firearm. It oozes quality and precision. It is a piece of mechanical art. While expensive, I feel that the guns are well worth what they cost.

The grip feels great. The sights picture is nice although at some point I will try to find a shorter front sight. The gun is extremely accurate and reliable. The decocker function is perfect. I ride the decocker lever when I shoot the gun but have never accidentally activated it. The DA pull is smooth but heavy. The SA pull is very smooth with a short reset. It is about 4.5-4.75 lbs. The gun runs CZ compact mags fine.

There are a few negatives. There don't seem to be many holster molds available. I haven't tried very hard but I haven't found a holster maker who will make a specific holster for it. It does fit decently in my sig 228 holsters.

They are expensive.

I haven't yet found anyone offering springs. I'd like to do a little spring tuning to see if I can drop the pull weights a bit. And the few CZ mainsprings I have tried don't fit having too large of an OD.

CGW has a spring kit for the compact but I haven't asked Dave if he plans to offer same for the subcompacts. The subcompacts are very new and seem to just now be trickling into the USA.

I'd like to see more aftermarket support. Hopefully, that will occur over time. I'd love to have TT gunleather make me a couple holsters for it. I'd like to install a lower front sight. And I's like to do some spring tuning.

Edited by twowheels

Thanks for the input. I broke down and bought a Sphinx Compact SDP instead of the Subcompact. I just couldn't find any reviews on the subcompact. The Compact is nice. Really nice. I immediately swapped out the springs with the ones CGW offers. It made a huge difference in the DA pull, and a slight difference in the SA. The DA was extremely heavy out of the box and the SA really nice with a short reset. The spring change fixed the DA. I still think I prefer my CZ Custom SDP. The Sphinx seems to handle the recoil better and is every bit as accurate but it is slightly larger. I think I shoot the CZC SDP better only because I prefer the Heinie sights to the three dot (my Sphinx has the HALO night sights). The CZC SDP does have a better trigger, but that's not to diminish the Sphinx's trigger. The CZC SDP, after having the SRTS installed, cost me around $1350 compared to the $950 (spring swap included) for the Sphinx. Both money well spent in my opinion. If I could have only one, I would probably pick the Sphinx and use the extra money on a holster, extra mags and ammo.

Edited by Pc1663

Pc1663, I think the Sphinx is softer shooting because of the built in recoil buffer in the frame. The nice undercut beneath the trigger guard might help some as well (higher grip). I am also thinking about adding a subcompact to the collection since the SDP is so well made and it is a nice shooter too boot. I have not seen any subcompact reviews (that were not done by the manufacturer) either. They are supposed to be commonly available anytime now so maybe the reviews will start to roll in.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a review on Sigforums by Prefontaine where it's compared to a Glock 19. The grip is just a little bit shorter than the G19 (you can get your whole hand on the grip without an outlandishly long mag extension) and the barrel/slide looks to be about 5/8ths of an inch shorter than the G19. I'd say the Sphinx subcompact is bigger than the RAMI.

Got my Sphinx subcompact last night. I don't think the CGW spring kit will work though as it appears that the hammer spring will be shorter and the firing pin is shorter as well. Nice crisp SA trigger with a very short reset on it though and the DA trigger is not so heavy I can't work it.

• 2 months later...

Hi...just purchased the Sphinx Sub Compact. Immediate impressions were favorable. I put about 300 rounds down range and let my buddy shoot it. It worked perfectly. When I pulled it out of my bag to clean it, the front sight was missing. No clue what happened to it. I called Kriss this morning and they don't have "approval" to sell the front sight and couldn't recommend an alternative solution. No idea on when the issue will be resolve. Two appeals for help.

1) Have any other subcompact owners had an issue with the front sight?

2) Does anyone have any suggestions on a replacement?

Thanks

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...