Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti customer service? Cracked frame

trp

Anybody have there trojan frame crack or chip away? Mine is cracking around where the left side thumb safety goes in the frame, is this something that is covered under warranty? Yes I know I will call them but I wAs wondering anyone's else's experience with something like this? What could cause this

Most do, so then my next question is how big of a safety is it, I have a couple guns with the Wilson combat extra wide competition safety... That is big enough that you can actually exert a lot of force on that contact surface and over time could develop the symptom you are showing. I typically see this in lightweight frames more than steel.

+1 to what he said ^

I would call STI, they will take care of you.

Look at the contact surfaces of the safety and see where it is contacting the frame. Look for any defects or spots that look unusual.

Could have also been a piece of debris (that has since fallen out) stuck in there and when you racked the slide it wedged in there enough to chip the frame.

That peen mark on the lower right hole is common on production 1911's. It's caused by the thumb safety. A very good smith can modify a thumb safety by removing that sharp corner, however most small-time smiths probably don't even bother.

Unless you can see stress cracks splintering off of the main peen mark, I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

STI will most likely take care of you if you want to deal with the hassle of sending stuff back. You could on the other hand any smith should be able to file the sharp corner off the TS and also clean up the frame and it would be fine (less than an hour of work.) You can very easily do it yourself as well just go slow and be careful... the TS is a pretty integral part of the fire control system. That being said, its design is basic and once you understand how it works, it becomes very easy to do the work