Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New from Central Texas

CufNStuff2

Hi all. Been using and lingering around the forum here for a while when I needed to find things. The information available here that I've found is overwhelming, invaluable and appreciated. I finally decided to register so I could search the forums directly :-).

A bit about me........ I'm not new to shooting (US Army vet and 15 year LEO) or reloading but I am a newly registered 3GN member (3GNID 30567). So far I have had no luck with getting answers for club matches around Central Texas with registered 3GN clubs except Copperhead Creek in Marble Falls (which is a 2 hour drive and I'm willing to do it was just hoping for some other places that are closer to the Waco/Temple area). If anyone knows of anywhere else that will answer the phone or emails about regular club matches please let me know. I'm not looking at pro series, sponsors or anything like that. I just want to be able to go out, shoot matches, meet people and maybe improve my skills for work.

Here's what I've decided to use and outfit for TacOps Division matches. Glock 34(not because they may be the best but because I'm a Glock armorer and can fix and work on them), Benelli M2 and my Bushmaster M4.

Glock 34 was ordered back in November and I'm still waiting for it, but when I get it I have "The Edge" trigger set up ready to drop in and Warren Tactical sights to put on also.

Benelli M2 field I have is a 26" barrel (because I couldn't find a shorter one in stock anywhere that wasn't camo, but I didn't think it really mattered when you put an extended mag tube on it). I've installed a Nordic components follower, charging handle, +9 tube (& I have a +7 tube also), Carlson LM extended choke (because it was cheaper on my budget than Briley), installed a TTI cartridge tray, modified the loading port and I decided to stipple the grips. I know that there's a lot of debate on stippling stuff but to each his own and it works for me. Took me a day to get up the nerve to "grind" and "melt" on an $1100 shotgun, but I think it turned out ok. LOL.

The Bushmaster I've had for a long time and know it's reliable. It has a low profile gas block and a Nordic 15" free float hand guard, PRI Muzzle Brake, 24C trigger and Vortex Viper PST 1-4 piece of glass on top. I also opted to put offset sights on it for the just in case and used Magpul MBUS front and rear. Beyond that it still has the stock m4 profile 16 1/2" barrel and carbine gas system. Maybe at some point in the future I'll be able to replace the barrel with an 18" match barrel with a mid length gas system. Currently if I do my part I get 3/4 - 1 MOA at 250 yds. So I can't complain I guess.

Rig is Safariland ELS stuff because I had a 1/2 off entire order certificate from a Safariland training class I went to. So it saved me a lot. I did get a 10 pin wheel from Carbon Arms to use for shotgun reloading.

That's me and my set up in a nutshell. Thanks for all the useful tips and info on the forums and if anyone sees any holes in what I've set up please let me know. I'm open to any and all suggestions being new to competition shooting.

Welcome to the forums. A quick run-down of a few other local 3-Gun matches:

Copperhead Creek 3-Gun near Marble Falls - 2nd Saturdays

Texas Multi-Gun 3-Gun (Liberty Hill) - 3rd Saturdays

Copperas Cove Pistol Club Gun-Club 3-Gun - 4th Saturdays (plus 2 other matches per month)

North Texas Multigun 3-gun Match in Cresson - 4th Saturday AND 4th Sundays (plus 4-5 other matches per month)

Dissident Arms Multigun 3-Gun near Navasota (College Station area) - 4th Sundays

Note - there are probably others out there, but this is a good sample. LOTS of 3-gun opportunities in the Central Texas area!!

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes.

Welcome...! Try to get on the txipsc email list. It provides match announcements for different shooting venues.

Thank you for the heads up on the IPSC list. I'll try to get on that one.

Welcome to the forums. Where do you do your cuffing and stuffing? :goof:

Thanks, and in Waco for the last 11 years on the cuffing and stuffing. Other small agencies before here for 5 years. LOL.

Welcome to the forums. A quick run-down of a few other local 3-Gun matches:

Copperhead Creek 3-Gun near Marble Falls - 2nd Saturdays

Texas Multi-Gun 3-Gun (Liberty Hill) - 3rd Saturdays

Copperas Cove Pistol Club Gun-Club 3-Gun - 4th Saturdays (plus 2 other matches per month)

North Texas Multigun 3-gun Match in Cresson - 4th Saturday AND 4th Sundays (plus 4-5 other matches per month)

Dissident Arms Multigun 3-Gun near Navasota (College Station area) - 4th Sundays

Note - there are probably others out there, but this is a good sample. LOTS of 3-gun opportunities in the Central Texas area!!

Thanks for the info on these. I got in touch with Copperhead Creek for their monthly events but I had not been able to get a response on the Texas Multi-Gun in Liberty Hill and was wondering if they still did it. Did not know about Cove at all. Definitely appreciate the ones listed very much.

I'm virtually certain that TXMG (Liberty Hill) is still running monthly matches, though I haven't been to one in quite a while - they put on really good matches but tend to run a bit long time-wise. You can probably find more info on their FB page.

The Copperas Cove match is a lot of fun and usually gets done by around 1300-1400. They normally run 5-6 stages, including two all shotgun with one of being a "jungle-run" type stage. You can check out Copperas Cove Pistol Club on FB; they normally post match info and stages ahead of time.

Being from Waco, the North TX MG club in Cresson may be a good option too. I shot several of their matches when they were at the ETTS range in Waxahachie and they put on some really good ones - now that they're in Cresson, they're a bit farther away from me (I'm from Belton) but I'll probably try to shoot with them when I can.