Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 Mag Release Sticking.

Just4FunLP

Sometimes when I go to eject a mag on my 5.25 the button won't move unless I press very hard. It's extremely frustrating when you're at a critical point and must have a quick reload and the the mag doesn't drop. I made the problem better in the past by removing and polishing the button and the catch. It was a total nightmare trying to reinstall the spring... Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make this better?

When a mag is installed the pullets press against the slide which compresses the spring a bit. I assume this is normal.

When I press the button the mag moves upward compressing the mag spring a very small amount as the catch moves out of the way. When the slide is locked back and the bullets aren't touching the mag it's very easy to press.

This gun and mags has more than 30,000 rounds through it, but it seems like it's always been a bit of a problem.

Thanks

I have 4 XDm's. Every single one was a pain to eject mags. I took the mag catch out of every one and filed and polished some of the engaging surfaces down. You don't want to remove too much material or your mag will drop when you don't want it to, ie-while shooting. A reduced power mag release spring also helps.

It can be tricky to get the mag catch back in if you've never done it. Don't do it if you're not good with this type of stuff.

Edited by d_striker

I was having problems reaching the factory magazine release on my XDM, I ordered an extended one from Springer Precision, its only .1" longer than the factory one but it made a huge difference for me, its easier to press and seems smoother than the factory one.

Yup. They are a must if you have short thumbs like me. I can actually drop a mag without adjusting my grip with an extended mag release. No possible way I could do this with the factory mag release.

I have the Springer button. It does help. Where did you remove the material, the top, or make the catch itself thinner to make it protrude into the mag less? Trial and error could take forever if I have to remove and reinstall it over and over. I probably need to get a spare in case I mess it up.

You know now that I think about it, I see this mostly when I'm doing dry fire practice with ten dummy rounds. Maybe it's not as big a deal when I'm actually shooting and dropping mags with one or two rounds. I'll have to do a few more experiments before I start tearing the gun apart again.

I have the Springer button. It does help. Where did you remove the material, the top, or make the catch itself thinner to make it protrude into the mag less? Trial and error could take forever if I have to remove and reinstall it over and over. I probably need to get a spare in case I mess it up.

Unfortunately, you sort of do need to remove a little and reinstall, remove/reinstall. You really don't want to remove too much.

If you lock the slide back and look down at the mag catch, you'll see the little nub that engages the hole in the front of your mag. I slightly changed the angle of the portion of the nub that runs parallel to the bore of the gun. It really doesn't take much. I also removed some material on the sides of the catch on a couple guns where it was a tight fit.

I would actually recommend not removing any material at first. Just try polishing the part of the catch that engages the mag release button. I ended up removing material because, like I said, I've got short thumbs and couldn't get enough leverage on the button. If you can get more leverage on the button, you may be able to get away with just polishing things up. Also, try a reduced power mag release spring as well. This does however require that you take the mag catch out.

Getting the mag catch back in is tricky at first but after doing it a few times, I can almost do it with my eyes closed. Just make a slave pin out of an old allen wrench or small drill bit to hold the spring in place while driving the pin back in.

Good luck.

Edited by d_striker

There is a video on youtube by one of the XD guru's on how to swap it out. I took it out without watching it of course and it was not fun! The PRP extended fixed my tough to release mag issues.

For what it's worth my Xdm 4.5 in 40, xdm 5.25 in 9mm and the xds 9, they all have issue with releasing a full mag. I have to press up on the mag and then the button, or really press the button to get the mag out.

Empties or partially empty, no problems

I didn't find a good video on the installation. The closest thing I found was a guy that was going to show how it's done, then turns off the camera. When he comes back he says to NEVER completely disassemble the mag release. Pretty funny...

I did find this web page http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/fixing-a-difficult-to-push-mag-release-button.166521/that seems to have a pretty good technique. I'll order myself a new reduced power spring and give it a try next weekend.

Thanks for the help. Maybe if I figure out how to do it I'll try to make a video, but I'll have to use my cell phone. Post links to any videos you run across.