Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is movement in m&p sear block normal?

mpom

Have 2 m&p 9 mm's, long slide and compact. When installing Apex parts, noticed the sear housing in the compact has play in the frame, so it pivots on the roll pin when the ejector is pushed up and down. Not a lot, but since the rear tabs the slide rides on are part of the housing, am concerned this play/movement will lead to more wear and more movement. Pistol functions fine, just asking the collective brain trust if its harmful to correct the play, say by shimming the sear housing, or is normal for a m&p. Suspect the issue is tolerance stacking, probably from too large a cavity in the frame, or less likely a slightly out of size sear housing. Thanks in advance.

Too soon to use it for parts, as I just bought it!

My OCD got to me. I made shims and MarineTex'd them to the back of the sear housing, where it should make contact with the frame, but did not in this case. Easy fix. Am concerned that the top of the tabs or rear rails built into the sear block are already wearing, with only a couple of hundred rounds fired. Never saw this much wear in Glocks. Guess the MIM sear block is nowhere near as hard as expected.

Edited by mpom

Ya, new, rocking around pin from the beginning. Has 100 rounds fired and maybe 200 dry fire cycles. Play is gone now, thanks to shims in back of housing. Am concerned about obvious wear to rear tabs that slide rides on, as the hard surface is broken through. Bought a spare housing from brownells just in case wear continues. Did not want to send to s&w as i have apex parts installed and they may replace them without returning the apex ones, or refuse to repair since it is no longer stock w apex parts and dawson sights. Sear block housing is close to shipping w insurance to s&w anyway. Just curious if this play is common and if i can expect for wear to continue in this mim part.